Can't remove garden valve...help

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Andres Munoz, May 20, 2003.

1. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

Even though I closed my garden valve really tight, there is still water coming out it (leaking).

I also tried to remove it so I can get a new one, but this frigging thing will not unscrew! Do plumbers use some type of glue to screw these things in place? I can see some white stuff around the thread of the water pipe that goes into the valve. The white stuff is dried and it becomes powder when I touch it.

I simply cannot remove the valve, no matter how hard I try. Is there an easy way to do this?

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    The white stuff is probably plumber's tape. it's a white plasticy film that doesn't have any glue around it but one can wrap the threads of pipes and other threaded stuff to stop leaks and stuff.

Sorry, as far as getting it off, hmmmm, something that could eat the plastic tape? a bowl of wheaties?

Jay

3. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Did you try tightening the packing nut. Many times that will fix it. The nut right below the handle. If not, you can replace the packing material without replacing the entire faucet.

4. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

When you say garden valve, are you talking about a spiket that you hook a garden hose to? If so, I would say get a wrench, such as a plumbers wrench, that has a longer handle so you can get some leverage. Remember, righty tighty lefty loosy. (usually) I second Jay's suggestion, eat your wheaties and give 'er a shot. I would also say that the white stuff my be Teflon tape, though if it is powdery it may be corosion.

5. Andres Munoz

Please keep in mind I know nothing about plumbing so I might get things and names confused.

At first I thought it was teflon tape but it doesn't look like it.

Bob, which one is the packing material? I'll take a look at the nut below the handle.

Jeff, I tried very very hard. So hard that the water pipe started rotating even though I was trying to hold it in place with another wrench (two wrenches, one to unscrew the valve, another to hold the water pipe).
    And by valve (that might not be the correct name), I mean the faucet that connects to the water pipe that comes from somewhere inside the house. I connect my garden hose to this faucet.

The faucet is very old and I'd like to replace it anyway. But for now, I'll be happy if I can stop that leak.

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

You might try replacing the washer first. The old one is probably worn. (BTW, the name you are looking for is 'hose bib') There should be a screw on top of the handle. Unscrew that and remove it. Look around for a rubber washer. Get a new washer and put everything back. Oh yeah, turn off the water before you do this...

7. Andres Munoz

Hose bib. Got it. Thanks. (Although when I looked in the Home Depot website, what I have actually looks more like a "garden valve" than a "hose bib valve").

Galvanized steel pipes? How do I tell? It looked like copper to me.

I would've thought of the washer if the leak was sporadic (like a second or two in between drops). But in my case it actually looks like the handle wasn't closed all the way even though it is.

But I will look into all these parts before trying to remove the whole thing. Last thing I need now is something breaking.

8. Andres Munoz

BTW, who would've thought I'd be receiving plumbing advice from the Home Theater Forum? lol.

This is great. I love it. [​IMG]

9. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator