What's new

Can't receive digital sound, need help! (1 Viewer)

Tan_U

Stunt Coordinator
This is my first HT, I have a H/K AVR110 receiver with the JBL NSP1 speaker package and the RP56 DVD player. It plays pro logic and logic 7 just fine but no dolby digital or dts.
Everything seems to be hooked up right, the DVD and receiver are hooked up with a AR optical cable, the DVD is set to output digital sound and all the speakers are hooked up properly.
This may sound stupid but do you need a subwoofer to output digital sound, I'm pretty sure you don't so my other suspicion is that the optical cable is broken somehow, even though I don't remember doing anything that could harm it. Do you need to set the receiver to output digital sound.
Please help, I can't wait to hear some digitl sound coming from the JBL because they sound so good doing pro logic.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Why don't you try looking in the HK setup menu and seeing whether you must designate certain Digital inputs to certain sources. The other suggestion would be to make sure that the source selection on yoru receiver is set digital inpur, not analog.
On my Pioneer Elite, I must make sure of both of the above points- that I have the Digital input mapped to the proper source, and that the input on the receiver is set to digital or analog inpuits.
Sam

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Tan,
I am not familiar with your receiver at all , but many receivers you have to select the audio input seperately. For instance , Video 1 or the input labeled DVD may have two selections for audio input... Digital or Analog. Make sure you have digital selected for that source. Whatever input you are using with your DVD player.
Also it could also very well be your optical cable like you said. If you don't have an extra optical cable to test it try the coaxial digital audio output from your DVD player if it has one. You can use any 75OHM video cable for a coaxial digital audio cable.
Try these two things first.
Kevin C.
smile.gif

Anthony Stephan

Stunt Coordinator
I find that most often this is a problem with the set up of the DVD player. You must choose Dolby Digital bitstream in the original set up menu of the DVD player.
You must also then chose DD or dts in the discs menu before you begin play.

Tan_U

Stunt Coordinator
I guess It's the receiver, I've tried switching it to digital but it won't let me, I'll look through the manual some more, thanks for the recommondations.

Dale B

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 110,and if memory serves me right you have to assign the proper cable to the component. My dvd uses a coaxial cable so I had to set the reciever up so it shows the dvd as coaxial. I think you do it from the remote where it says digital. If you have any trouble I will look at how I did mine and let you know. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks