Can't read my email

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Henry Gale, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

My computer died yesterday, really the monitor, and I would normally just check my email from my girlfriends computer....BUT, the ISP is down for maintenance and they suggest...

"Until then, you may check your Texas.Net e-mail using a standard POP client."

What does that mean?

Jim

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    JIm,

That isn't too clear.
    But it suggests, that they say that their mail-server is still operational, and if you have another means of access to the internet, you can use any mail program (like Outlook Express) to get your mail - provided, of course you know the mail server and your password and set up an account for yourself.

Normally, I wouldn't advise that, because your mail will also go to that client's Inbox, and if it's not your normal computer, it will probably (unless you take special precautions) be gone from the server and into that other computer.

So it would only work for you if you can use your usual PC and e-mail client (and account) to connect to the internet (through other means).

Cees

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

You can use pop mail forwarding if you have a Yahoo!, Hotmail, or some other web-based e-mail account, but I believe they all charge a fee for it now.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

You can use a webmail pop client like mail2web.com

Basically their thing is just saying their web interface is being redone- and for the time being the mail server is sill up and running, you just ahve to use some other client to check it.

mail2web is pretty good, imho.

-V

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Turns out I was correct with the first three words. Switched
    out monitors (mine works fine) and discovered the bad news, my tower is a dark place. [​IMG]