What's new

Can't play TV sound through surround sound speakers (1 Viewer)

valjoy

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
I have a Panasonic TCP42C2 Plasma TV and a Panasonic SAHT740 DVD Player/Theater System. I am having trouble getting the TV sound to come through the speakers in the system.
Panasonic Tech Support advised me to get an optical digital output cord, connect it to an adaptor to red and white/RCA cords to the system. I followed this advice, but I still cannot get the sound to play. I put the system on "AUX" and enabled other speakers on the TV and turned off the TV's built in speakers but still nothing.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You need to turn the volume up full on the TV. Once you turn the speakers off, that is how you control the volume level leaving the TV.

valjoy

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for your response. I tried that as well, but when I deactivate the TV speakers, it does not allow control of volume from the TV.
Any other ideas?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Either...
1. You have a bad optical/analog adapter
2. The optical on the TV doesn't work
3. The analog in on the HTiB doesn't work.
So, try the TV connected to something else.
Or, try something else connected to the HTiB.

valjoy

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
I switched out and tried a new converter and new optical cord, and I still have the same problem, so it seems that the TV has a bad optical port. With these two devices, can you think of any alternate way to connect them?
Thanks again for your help!

valjoy

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Sorry for the delay in responding. Can you explain what CEC means? I am new to the lingo.
I am able to have the sound go from the Blue Ray to the sound system, but the only thing I cannot get to go through the system is the TV sound. Is there another way to make that work other than the optical port? Thanks again.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
CEC in Panasonics case is Viera Link. Turn it off.
If CEC is off...
Speakers are off...
Volume is turned up/fixed is chosen(one or the other)...
And you still have no sound...
Your TV has a bad optical out.

valjoy

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Apparently I do have a bad optical out. Do you know of any work around, or am I just stuck without surround sound from my TV?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only other option is to replace that HTiB you have with one with a digital input. Maybe the AUX is dead in it.
It is "also possible" that you have 5.1(Dolby) turned on in the TV(needs to be 2.0 PCM) and then the optical/RCA adapter can digest the output.
That is the only other possibility. What "sound" are you wanting out of the TV? OTA?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
How is your TV getting its signal - OTA (over the air), or from a cable box or satelite? If it is from a cable box or satelite, those receivers may have an audio output that you could use. Even if you are using HDMI to get the picture to the TV, you can also send the audio straight from the receiver box to your sound system.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
^^^
That doesn't work with Time Werner and Concast(spelled them that way on purpose)...
Some of their boxes "kill" all the other outputs once you turn on the HDMI.

caremal5

Auditioning
Real Name
Harry Stone
hi, i started a new thread earlier today just haven't got any reply's and was wondering if any of you guys would be able to help me with my issue. I can give most information you will need to help me resolve the issue.
Harry

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, you have no answers to your thread???
Really???
I'm guessing I'm the only one that sees my response from hours ago...
(copy/paste from your thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks