Can't play in DTS mode

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike-G-H, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Mike-G-H

Mike-G-H Auditioning

Hello, first post here, great site.

I'm pretty much new to home theater and have been fumbling my way thru assembling equipment and getting things set up correctly. This site has been a big help in getting me started. Even got my SVS PB-10 because of the great reviews it got here.

I'm having a problem watching movies recorded in the dts format, they will only play in dolby digital. I don't know if it's my equipment or if I have something set up wrong. I have a panasonic dvd rv32 dvd player. The manual says it doesn't decode the signal but if it's connected to equipment that does, it will work. My receiver is a denon avr-1905. The manual says "the avr-1905/785 can be decoded with sources recorded in dts surround". I'm not sure what that means. Do I have something set wrong or do I need to get a dvd player that decodes the dts signal? I've gone thru the manuals and it looks like I have everything set up the way it's supposed to be, but I'm not sure.

thanks for the help

Mike

2. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

Make sure you go into your dvd player's setup and set the digital audio output to "raw" or "digital", make sure it is not set to "pcm." Just to make sure, you do have your dvd player connected to your receiver via digital coax or digital optical right?

3. Mike-G-H

Mike-G-H Auditioning

Yes I'm using the optical output. I'll double check the settings on the player.

Mike

4. John S

John S Producer

May be called bitstream as well, should fix you right up.

5. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I have a panasonic dvd player, S-55 I think. It's been awhile but it was either the digital audio or progressive scan that actually required two menu selections, in different menus, to get it to output correctly. I forget which, but it took a couple tries to find it. The manual is horrible. You may have to "enable" dts, and then also set the output to bitsream.

PS - welcome to the board, bro!

6. Mike-G-H

Mike-G-H Auditioning

Thanks for the welcome and the replies. Probably won't be posting much other than questions, as I don't know much yet.

Charlie, you are right, the manual is pretty bad.

I finally figured it out last night. I went back and checked the menu settings which appeared to be correct and it still would only play in dolby digital. By chance I hit the display button on the dvd remote and it showed what format it was playing in along with other info on the top of the screen. By scrolling over to the audio format box I was then able to change it. I was watching Return of the King and I could switch to dolby surround, dolby stereo, dts and a variety of narration tracks, I think there were 7 selections. I guess dolby digital surround is the default audio format. I went back to the manual and there wasn't really any info there on how to do that, I just stumbled across it.

Thanks again

Mike

7. John S

John S Producer

Oh yeah... Not all DVD players allow the audio switch on the fly...

On the DVD disc menu itself, there are options to change the audio before you start the movie. Usually in languages or setup on the disc title itself.

8. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

The disk itself sometimes won't allow you to switch on the fly either. My Denon switches just fine on some DVDs like LOTR but others like Red Violin I'm forced to go back to the main menu and switch tracks.

You're right. Every disk I've ever seen on my 3 differend players defaults to DD. Without fail IMHO the DTS track sounds better so I wish there was a way to change that. I do have a certain number of memory settings where the player will recognize certain disks and my preferences, so that's something.

9. Mike-G-H

Mike-G-H Auditioning

I didn't think to check the menu on the dvd when I started it,I'll have to remember that.

I agree the dts sound was better, the surround effects were more defined.

When I did get it set to dts and shut it off, I used the position memory feature and when I restarted it later it was still set to dts.

Mike

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If a disc does not EXPLICITLY say it is a DTS disc, it will NOT default to DTS. Even on DTS discs (like Saving Private Ryan DTS), it will usually come up and ask you Dolby Stereo or DTS when you drop the disc in because not all systems are compatible with DTS which would result in a pink noise like sound that could damage your speakers.

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Uh, no- it's that way on laserdiscs and music CDs, but DVDs have a different way of sending out the signal- it basically says "This is DTS!" and if the receiver doesn't support DTS, it will get no sound at all. This made it painful for the first-generation player owners as they could not send out the re-designed signal.

12. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

More like "black noise" in my opinion. Not quite stochastic, just enough nonrandomness to be the most EVIL sound you could possibly hear. [​IMG]

13. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    If you want to get rid of switching to DTS on the fly I think you would be better to do it through the setup of the player itself.

Let me explain. When you have a disc in the player and you press setup, the player thinks you want to set up the disc. My first player (which only had s/vid did not allow for switching on the fly)

Make sure the player is empty. Then go into the audio portion of the setup. Some players do DD and DTS decoding in the player (DD for sure) some don't.

Then set the audio options for Bitstream (or digital) There may be one each for DD and DTS. If your player also plays any of the HIREZ options (dvd-a and/or SACD) and you have th 6 analog cables connected to the EXT or MLTI ch in's to the corresponding inputs on your processor you can turn off the digital and use the analogs. In fact you could use them for everything but wouldn't get the DD or DTS processing.

Some players Panasonics come to mind, also have a re-master feature which allows you to upconvert a standard cd from 44.1 to 88.2 or 96. If your processor accepts 88.2 or 96/24 you will see the face of the processor flash something like PCM 88.2 when re-master is incurred.

My Denon 5800/03 accepts both but some will do 96 but not 82. The operatrs manual of your processor should give you that info.

This is just a personal choice but I have always perferred DTS with or without THX processing if availible.

Have fun,
    Peter M.