Can't play DTS soundrack on "Dual Soundtrack" DVD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Sun, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Robert Sun

Robert Sun Agent

Hello,

I'm having trouble working out how to get my reciever to play the DTS soundtrack off the DVD. The DVD's I've tried have "dual DD and DTS" soundtracks. My receiver automatically plays the DD. I have Marantz SR4200 and when I manually switch it to DTS, no sound at all?

My DVD players is Panasonic RV32. In the setup menu I can set DD to downmix or PCM (anyone can tell me what PCM is?) also switch DTS from off to downmix, and MPEG is set to PCM.

Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Rob

2. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

PCM = Pulse Code Modulation which is what cds use. There should be a setting in your DVD player menu DTS on or off, find that and turn on. [​IMG]

3. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

Do want Brent said and be sure that you pick the DTS soundtrack from the DVD's language or setup or audio menu.
    I don't think any DVDs will default to the DTS soundtrack.

Rob

4. JoeRiley

JoeRiley Stunt Coordinator

I have the same problem.

Dolby Digital 5.1 plays fine. But when I try to use DTS, I get no audio at all. My DVD player is a Phillips DVD711 and the reciever is a Phillips FR965. The DVD player has a DTS symbol on it, and the reciever says it can handle DTS as well, so I don't think the problem is with hardware capability.

I checked the settings on the dvd player's menu, and everything is set correctly. The only thing I can think of is that I am using a Coaxial in/output, and am using a normal (aka cheap) RCA as the cable.

Could that be the problem? Or do I need to hook it up via optical wires?

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You have to activate the dts output option on the player. THEN you ALSO have to SELECT the dts soudtrack on each specific dvd, or it will default to DD. Otherwise, if you try to force DTS decoding on your reiver, and its getting DD, it won't work. YOu have to make sure you select the dts mix ON THE DVD.

6. JoeRiley

JoeRiley Stunt Coordinator

7. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Joe you shouldn't have to use an optical but if you have one try that and make sure the receiver menu is set to accept the optical signal, You may also have to set the DVD player menu to output thru optical. As far as the cheapo RCA cable is concerned I "THINK" is should still pass a signal but you should definitely buy a good coax cable for optimum performance.[​IMG]

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You said you set DTS to downmix, you don't want to do that. Set to "Bitstream" or something similar

9. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I missed that. The downmix will send a stereo / prologic signal.