What's new

Can't install CompactFlash reader. Looking for Win XP driver (1 Viewer)

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
I have a Sandisk sddr 91 CF reader/writer. Windows XP is supposed to have the driver built-in so that I can just plug and play. My cptr won't recogize it. I've spent all night searching but can't find anything.

Can someone direct me to a computer forum where I might this answered? Thanks!

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Thanks Rob,

but the problem is there is no "additional driver required for Windows XP" My puter doesn't recognize it when I plug it into the USB port in the front of the machine. Anyways I'll call Sandisk.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,

There is a driver on the manufacturer's page for Win98. Have you tried this? If it's totally incompatible with your version of Windows, you should be informed of this during install.

Arthur suggests:

I agree. I've had all sorts of odd behavior with PCMCIA card readers, but the only circumstance under which USB equipment failed to work properly (on the first try!) was when attempting to plug into a dead port.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I think I have the same reader...worked perfectly. Your reader is the USB2 reader right? Maybe your patched version of XP isn't identifying the USB2 ports on your motherboard quite right, assuming you have USB2.

Try a different USB port as a temporary workaround. You might need to delete the USB Root Hub and the USB controller devices in your device manager, and reboot for XP to reindentifying them correctly.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Plugged into different USB ports, front and back, doesn't work.

Tried the Win98 download....I get a bunch of errors.

Max: How do your delete root hub? I'm not very computer savvy.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Before you do that, can you tell us the specs of your computer? Does it support USB 2.0? Is Service Pack 1 installed? When you installed XP, did it already include Service Pack 1, or did you get the original XP and update later?

You might need a patch to the Service Pack 1 patch to get USB 2 working.

When you plug in the reader, what does Windows tell you? Does it ask you for a driver? Or does it go straight to "USB Device Unrecognized" or a similar error?

Anyways, you can get an idea of what is happening by opening the Device Manger (right click on the My Computer icon, select Properties. Then click on the Hardware tab and press the "Device Manger" tab). Plug in the CF reader, and tell us if the device driver list changes, and what new device(s) show up on the list when it is plugged in.

To delete your USB devices, find the "USB Serial Bus Controllers" entry, expand the USB controller devices listed, and remove each one you see by right-clicking and selecting "Uninstall". Do this for the USB Root Hubs and the USB Host Controllers you find. Then reboot, and Windows XP SHOULD reidentify them and install the proper driver. This might "fix" windows to get your CF reader working again. However, don't delete anything yet until you give us more info. Maybe the CF reader is bunk? :)

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Here are some specs under "System Properties":

Windows XP Home edition version 2002, Service Pack 1, Pentium 4, 2.4Ghz, 480MB RAM
I believe I got the Service Pack 1 after.

When I plug in the reader, it says "USB Device not recogized". Under "Device manager", there are other USB 2 devices such as "SiS 7002 USB 2 Enhanced Host Controller" and "USB 2.0 Root Hub". It also says "Unknown device" which is referring to the CF reader.

My puter recongizes my Nikon D70 camera when I plug it in.

what do you think? Thanks for the help so far.

Off topic...
Go Flames!!!!I was in Cgy for Game 3 and watched it at Whiskey's and it was fun! We left too early to see any "Flames Girls" though.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
If you camera works when it's attached to the computer then it would lead me to believe that the reader has gone south.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The Flames choked! Ugh, they only played 1/3rd of a game...too little too late. Speaking of which, maybe you should replace the CF reader? It's probably no good.

If you're plugging it into a USB hub, try plugging directly into the computer instead...the hub might be flaky or it can't handle the power requirements of the CF reader.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Okay....I replaced the CF reader. This time a no-name "Dazzle" brand. It too, doesn't require drivers for Windows XP, but I get the same result: "USB Device Not Recognized."

When I click on the "Unknown Device" for its properties, I get this message:

"No drivers are installed for this device.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."

I have the Service Pack 1 installed from "Windows Update"
I think my Windows is bunk. I don't have the original disks since I bought my cptr on clearance from Future Shop. Maybe that's my problem :frowning:

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I remember having similar issues when I try to plug my USB 2 flash drive into the USB ports in the front of my computer case. However, plugging the drive into the USB ports built in to the motherboard posed no problems.

XP SP1 does have issues with USB2 ports...wrong drivers are installed sometimes, or not recognized correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks