What's new

Can't hear TV Through Surround Speakers (1 Viewer)

cirrone

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
ok I have a Samsung HT-D550 Home Theater set. My TV is a Samsung LN40C630K1FXZA. I can connect to the reciever through anynet+ but i cannot get sound from my dish Network or my Xbox 360 through the speakers without using an optical cable I hook the DVD player/Reciever (same unit) to the TV via the only HDMI port and I connect my Dish Network and Xbox to the TV through HDMI as well. even when i can connect it via the optical audio i can only get the front 2 channels. I've tried pushing the Dolby button and all the others but no reaction. Any help? All cables are correctly and snugly connected and i went through the ASC setup stuff too

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Your TV's "digital optical out" will only output analog stereo for all external devices. Virtually all TVs downmix audio the same way.

TVs are not designed to serve as the hub of a multi-source system. That's the domain of an A/V receiver. Unfortunately, the biggest drawback to many of the entry-level HTiB (Home Theater in a Box) systems like the Samsung HT-D550 is that they lack the additional inputs required to enjoy surround sound from any additional sources.

The HT-D550 has one digital optical audio input. You can choose ONE of your extra sources (XBox or Dish) and run the audio directly from the source to the 550's input. This will preserve the digital 5.1 audio for that source device. To hear the audio, you select the AUX1 input on the 550 and cycle through the options until "D.IN" appears, indicating the digital audio input.

Should you choose to upgrade in the future, please solicit input from this forum first. Sadly, the Samsung speakers won't work with any other receiver, either - they are low impedance models and use proprietary connections.

cirrone

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Crap....so what ur saying is i'm boned......well im pretty sure i still have time to take it back to Best Buy.....what would you suggest? The major drawback to my TV is the aux audio out is not controllable via remote....the thing i like about the HTiB I have is using Anynet+ I can control it all with one remote because my Blu Ray player is also Samsung. I have a really nice (For me) 2.1 Klipsch set of speakers but again there is no way to control them by remote. any ideas on an inexpensive way to fix this little issue? Even if I have to get the receiver now and get the surround speakers one-by-one later. I have until tomorrow (the 28th) to make this return so any suggestions would be helpful

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
OK, let's take a quick step back and clarify a few inconsistencies in this thread.

I'm pretty sure we both mis-typed the model number for the Samsung unit - it should be the HT-D5500, not the HT-D550, correct?

Second, the HT-D5500 is a system with a built-in Blu-Ray player, not a built-in DVD player (meaning that you don't have a separate Blu-Ray player in addition to the HT-D5500).

In total, you want to be able to:

- Watch Blu-Ray

- Watch Dish Network (via HDMI)

- Play XBox 360 (via HDMI)

The above still stands - the HT-D5500 only has one digital audio input, and no HDMI inputs, so no matter what, you're forced to run HDMI for Dish and XBox to the TV and separate audio connection(s) to the Samsung.

Based on your needs (three HD/digital multichannel audio sources) the Samsung simply doesn't fit the bill.

Out of curiosity, how do you have your Klipsch speakers hooked up to the Samsung? That's another issue...

As for the Anynet+ feature, as I alluded to in my previous post, you shouldn't NEED to use the volume of your TV at all. Just about all manufacturers offer the same sort of "convenience" feature, but honestly, you rarely need it. Besides, getting all your components from the same manufacturer isn't really all that important nowadays.

Instead, the focus should be getting a receiver/speaker package that will support the number and type of devices you want to include in your system. Most of us here run everything through our receivers, and the TV becomes nothing more than a monitor. All switching (audio and video) is done by the receiver, and all volume control is done by the receiver (or any basic universal remote control can be set up to work for you).

In terms of price, All-in-one systems are the cheapest way to get your feet wet, however, as you've discovered, not all HTiB systems offer much in terms of an upgrade path. The most popular exception are the packages from Onkyo. They cost more than what you typically find at Best Buy, but if there's any chance your system will grow, or if you want to be able to make the most of the Klipsch speakers you have, you should consider getting one of these systems. They are built around a "real" receiver that has many inputs, can work with most speakers, and is an overall much "smarter" product.

Generally, we like to recommend the Onkyo 5300 system (also available for less, factory refurbished from Accessories4Less - an authorized Onkyo dealer). It has been replaced with a newer model for this year, the 5400 which is still a little bit more, but if your budget can stretch to reach it, that would be a great solution.

The next lower model from Onkyo, the Onkyo 3300 (now the 3400 for this year) is another decent option, however it's biggest drawback is lack of a powered subwoofer. Personally, I wouldn't recommend a system with a passive subwoofer, as it's too big a performance compromise.

If any of these options aren't feasible, let us know and we can look into some other alternatives. It's hard to get good performance and expandability for much less than $300-400.

cirrone

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Nope its a D550 w just an upscaling DVD player and only has input except for the optical. And that Onkyo is WAY out of my price range though i do appreciate the features it offers. And I don't need 7.1... I'd be happy with eventually upgrading to 5.1 (I know aren't my goals in life high?)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
OK - now I'm confused...

I did a search for the D550 and found a spec sheet that says it has two HDMI inputs... are you saying you've tried running HDMI from dish and xbox into the 550 and you get nothing to the TV?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Then I suppose you ALSO have a Blu-ray player that brings your total number of external sources to three. Still one short of the number of inputs on the 550.

For the Blu-ray player, the 550 does not support the lossless audio codecs of Blu-ray, so if you hook up a Blu-ray player to it, you will need to set it up to output regular, lossy 5.1 or PCM depending on the options available.

For XBox and Dish network, as long as each device is set up to output audio via HDMI, then you should be OK.

cirrone

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
it doesn't have any HDMI inputs....I'm looking at the system.....it only has one HDMI output and thats for the DVD.....Sorry Yes I have a Bluray player as well but is there anything that can just channel output from the TV or something?

To Clarify It has only one input and that is an optical.....

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Bizarre...

Sorry for the confusion, but I found more than one source online that indicated 2 HDMI inputs on the 550 (here's one). Regardless, that doesn't help you at all...

OK, there's no way to get your TV to output digital 5.1 audio.

As I see it, there are two options:

1 - Keep everything running to the TV via HDMI or whatever, and use the digital audio out from the TV into the 550. This results in stereo to the 550 which can then use Dolby ProLogic to simulate surround sound.

2 - Use something like this to switch each of your digital audio sources into the single digital input on the 550. Run each device's digital optical output (if they have coaxial, you might be out of luck) into this switch, then run the output into the 550. It's a manual switch, but will preserve digital surround sound for each of your sources.

cirrone

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
wow how lame it doesn't even look the same and HT-D550 is the exact name on the box......unfortunately there are no HDMI inputs :-( ...... Also the dolby button does not work on digital in...all around its a bargain system.....guess you get what you pay for so i'm gonna take this sucker back and get an actual reciever

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Funny situation. I went to the Best Buy website and they don't sell a Samsung HT-D550 HTib, but they do sell these and neither one has any HDMI connections.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Factory-Refurbished+1000W+5.1-Ch.+Blu-ray+Home+Theater+System/1508031.p?id=1218265373514&skuId=1508031

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+1000W+5.1-Ch.+DVD+Home+Theater+System/2052149.p?id=1218307910004&skuId=2052149

Now I wonder what it is that Best Buy sold you, was it some sort of an open box item that may have been packed in the wrong box. It looks like Samsung makes both a D550 and D5500 systems and it appears you have neither one. What model # is on the receiver will tell you the truth.

I hope by now you have returned your unit to Best Buy as it is not going to suit your needs. Try to get your money back and then do some more research for something else that will meet your needs. It looks like you need a minimum of three HDMI inputs. I would suggest the Onkyo 5300

Samurai Jim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I had the same problem with the same HTiB. If you are using the digital input, the unit behaves the same as if you have set HDMI Audio to 'on'. Dolby ProLogic and P.Bass buttons will not function and you can only enjoy stereo output.

Samurai Jim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I just wanted to follow up with you on this problem. If your new television has an analog output, like for a set of headphones, that output jack may be switchable to Audio Out in the audio options menu. If that is the case, a Y cable splitter with 1-Mini Plug/2-RCA/COAX plugs would allow you to connect to the RCA/COAX input of the Samsung HTiB and switch on Prologic for simulated 5.1. Huzzah! The cable looks like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1QEBMA8B065PXP8MVT0Z

ash123

Auditioning
Real Name
ashley
hi i have a samsung surround sound with built in dvd player i can get my t.v sound to play though it what do i do ive got a head phone socket on my tele can i just get a cable with the head phone bit on and on the other end a red and white cable please help it doing my box in lol

Cleck

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Cleckner
I know I'm kind of late to the party on this, but I found this thread/forum while searching the net for the same problem. I just got this system too and experienced the exact same problem. I solved it by connecting with an optical cable (I have a Samsung LCD that supports this) and one other thing I think is key: in the calibration/setup menu there is an "Auto Sound Calibration" setting that you go through to set up the positioning of your speakers relative to you. After I did this setup, I turned it off. This enabled the use of the ProLogic controls on the remote. It may not be perfect or true DTS or 5.1, but I was able to scroll through the options to use all of the speakers. For me, I'm not sure which setting is best (Movie, Music, Stereo, ProLogic, Pro II and Matrix). All I do is play video games and watch movies though. Anyways, hope this helps somebody in the future and maybe we can expand on these modes to find which is best.

jimp14

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Paulson
Thanks for the info about turning the ASC setting off. That helped me set up my parents system. They want to use the rear surround speakers as additional speakers for their long basement, and I was able to turn the ASC setting off, and then using the dolby prologic button on the receiver remote, I set the setting to 'Matrix', and then that allowed them to use the rear speakers as additional speakers. Now the only problem is that when they turn the samsung TV off with their TV remote, it automatically turns off the receiver/blue ray player. But when they turn the TV on, they have to manually turn on the receiver. I am not sure why the system works that way. Anyway, if anyone reading this knows how to fix it so the receiver always comes on with the TV, that would be great.

Cleck

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Cleckner
I'll check into that. Mine does the same thing. If it turns off with the tv, logic says it should come on with it. I'll let ya know

skurge

Auditioning
Real Name
j
So, I have a long living room connected to the kitchen. I already have two speakers. The goal would be to use the existing speakers and then use the samsung speakers wirelessly to stretch music across the living room and into the kitchen. I got this system for Christmas. If I am reading this forum correctly, I cannot connect additional speakers other then these Samsung? I have the HT-D550. If so, it would be great to know how to do this. I am thinking I go HDMI from my tv to the reciever, get the wireless receiver module ($100 extra) hopefully plug the old additional speakers I have into the receivers speaker inputs and get it set up via the remote control. Additionally, I stream a bunch of stuff to my TV from a roku player. I'd want to be able to listen to that stuff via all the speakers straight from the TV? (But that is on an additional HDMI so I'm not sure the sound would work?) Hmmmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks