Cant Get Sub To Work With Stereo Cd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geno, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

IVE TRIED EVERY SETTING I CAN THINK OF AND I STILL CANT GET MY SUB TO PUT OUT SOUND. i HAVE A JVC SA70 DVD PLAYER AND I USE THE INTERNAL DECODER AND USE THE 5.1 ANALOG OUTS. IF ANYONE KNOWS, PLEASE HELP ME

2. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Geno,

You may have already done this, but go back to the basics. You don't mention the model of receiver you have - that would help.

1. In the receiver's setup menu, check to see if the sub is selected (yes/no or on/off). In the same menu, check the subs level - mine goes from -10 to +10. If the default is -10, it may be too low to hear.

2. Check the sub's connection - try a different cable. Are you using line level or speaker level inputs? If line level, make sure it is plugged into the sub preamp out, not another channel (center, surround etc).

3. Check your volume, phase and power settings.

4. Try a digital connection, instead of 5.1 analog connections to see if that makes a difference.

5. Have a beer, chill out, you'll figure it out. Once you do, then properly calibrate your system.

JayDaniel

3. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

do you have your mains set to large or small.. if small, than LFE will put out bass to the sub.. if large, than it will put out bass to your mains. My reciever allows for small, large and for the sub, it allows on, off and plus, so that even if I have mains set to large, with the Plus on, it will use the sub as well.

4. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

i have no receiver, I have my analogs hooked to a passive preamp then the signals go to my 5 channel amp.
    the sub signals get split into my stereo power amp. I have no "extra" decoder. eeverything comes from the dvd player

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What player? The setup issues described above also apply for the DVD, since it would need to have the same capability. If the preamp does not have a digital input, you are relying on the DVD to do the bass management. This is where your issue lies. Check the speaker size and sub settings in the DVD player as noted above. You may not have all the functions mentioned, which is why it is often better to use a digital connection and let the processor handle bass management.

6. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

i HAVE A JVC SA70 DVD PLAYER AND I USE THE INTERNAL DECODER AND USE THE 5.1 ANALOG OUTS.

7. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

i HAVE A JVC SA70 DVD PLAYER AND I USE THE INTERNAL DECODER AND USE THE 5.1 ANALOG OUTS.

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Check the menu in the JVC and make sure the main speakers are set to SMALL, and sub is set to on. This will route all low bass info from the main speakers to the sub.

I tried to look up the manual on JVC's website to fnd the exact way this player's menu works, but JVC doesn't seem to think they ever made a "SA70".

Oh yeah, and turn off the caps lock.

-Vince

9. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Sorry vince, i work in autocad and ive always got caps on. my bad.

by the way, i just dont think my dvd player will output to sub with just 2 channels of input. I have just emailed JVC themselves, lets see what they come up with

10. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

If you're using an active RCA cable to the sub make sure it is going in the right direction if it is a single directional cable.
    EDIT: Actually I wasn't trying to be funny... but I didn't know about what you said cause all sub cables I've used have been labeled as directional. I may have to try it the other way and see if it does anything.
    Hmmmm... nah, just assume I was being funny [​IMG] .

11. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Geno,
    Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a sa70 manual online.
    One of the retail Web sites mentions that its builtin bass management only applies to DD and DTS soundtracks. (See http://www.discountsjungle.com/jvcxvsa7dvdc.html ) This would explain why you get no subwoofer output when listening to stereo CDs.
    You might want to consider investing in Outlaw's ICBM bass management unit. It's relatively inexpensive and will work for DVD-A discs, too.
    (Geoff, I hope you are just trying to be funny. "Directional" RCA cables are primarily marketing hype. Analog audio signals have voltages going both positive and negative, so current flows in both directions.)

12. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Maybe you can't hear it over all the shouting[​IMG]
    Just kidding, those suggestions posted seem like good ideas

13. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

well thanks for the input. I believe Selden is right about having not bass mangment. thats ok. just thought it'd be cool.

PS ive been working with audio equipment all my life, i ve never heard about a one way RCA cable

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The cables I have claim to be directional. They have arrows on them indicating source to amp direction. It may have something to do with the winding of the wire. Whether or not it really means anything is a different matter, but directionality is not the reason I bought them.

15. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

only way a wire can be one directional is the end connectors