Can't get sub to work correctly (PB2-ISD)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allen_N, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Allen_N

Allen_N Stunt Coordinator

I just received my new subwoofer (PB2) Tuesday. Before having this, I just had my 2 RF-25's hooked up and that's all. I hooked up the sub to my receiver with a cheap Radio Shack cable, set the gain to about 1/3 up and plugged in the sub. Turned on the receiver and started up RotK. It didn't appear that any bass was coming from it. Thinking it might be an issue of having the Klipsch set up as large, I switched out receivers as I lost my remote for the one I was using. Without the remote I couldn't change the speaker size.

I switched over to a Kenwood VR-6060 receiver. Hooking it up with the same cable I setup the fronts as normal (instead of large) and set the sub to on. The other channels I disabled. I left them all at +0dB and the gain on the sub was still around 1/3. I used the test tones to check the the sub. Nothing intially, if I turned up the gain it would make a small sound but nothing massive. Thinking that maybe it was maybe the powerstrip, I plugged the sub straight into the wall. No difference.

I then procedded to switch cables to ones I had used with my HTIB sub and they didn't make any difference. I then got out my HTIB sub and hooked it up. It won't make a sound at all not even the slight rumble the PB2 makes. I unhooked the right front as the cable was touching the sub cable thinking it might be interefering somehow. No change. I'm going to buy a better cable tonight but I doubt if that is what it is as the cables I have now worked before with the HTIB with this same receiver. I will also completely disconnect the left front and just play the sub by itself to keep anything else from being in the way.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I've done wrong? I am assuming it is a setup issue that I just can't figure out. I have the PB2 to use the receiver crossover which I am not sure what it is as it is not documented in the manual. Phase is set at 0. I am using a coax cable to run from the receiver's sub preout to the PB2 input (can't remember if it is R or L but I tried both). Receiver is set to stereo sound and all eqs are turned off. Loudness and Bass Boost are also off.

2. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

"Receiver is set to stereo sound "

there is your problem, you need to tell the receiver that you have a sub.

you are taking the issue way way wayw wya yw ayw ayw awy way way to far by thinking the cables are inferior and that causes the problem. read you receiver's manual and figure out how to get 2.1 instead of 2.0 sound.

3. Allen_N

When I have it set to stereo it shows the little graphics that have the fronts and subs hooked up to it. Plus I have subwoofer turned on. I just figured with me telling it the sub was on and having the graphic it would automatically be 2.1.

I can always switch it over to 5.1 and see if that works as I am just waiting on my center to hook all that up anyway.

4. Allen_N

I changed it over to Dolby Digital and it is the same. Outputs just barely any bass at all even though I have the gain right below 1/2. Any other ideas?

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Allen,

Have you e-mailed SVS Tech Support yet?

There is a setup issue of some sort I'm guessing. If you haven't checked your DVD player setup menu too, make sure IT is set with its digital output (I assume you are using this and not analog outputs) is set to "BITSTEAM". Many players default to "PCM" and you do not want that.

Also, it could be as something as simple as a bad cable, or even one plugged into the wrong jack on your receiver (I won't tell you how many times I've done this, but suffice it to say I wouldn't have to work for SVS if I'd gotten a dollar for each instance of that ;^)

Drop a line to [email protected] or even [email protected] and we can work the problem much quicker and even set up a call to work it faster still.

Ron

6. Allen_N

I just emailed techsupport with a link and excerpt from this post.

I have the dvd-player set to dolby digital instead of pcm. I am using a coax cable to go from the dvd player to the receiver. I don't believe it is this seeing as how when I run the test tones built into the receiver I still receive very little bass.

I use a digital coax cable to run from the subwoofer preout on the receiver(s) to the low level input on the sub (have tried left and right even though I know it shouldn't make a difference). I'm sure it's just a setup issue, I just can't figure it out. I also fried my small sub last night I believe as it put out a nice odor after emitting a not so bassy noise. I'm thinking it might have got damaged in the move. After doing that I switched back to my old Pioneer receiver just in case.

I've used three different cables, 1 cheap Radio Shack Mono RCA and 2 Digital Coax cables that worked for me around a year ago. I didn't have my HTIB setup in my house last year so I haven't used them in a while. All of them produce the same results.

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Allen,

>>>I have the dvd-player set to dolby digital instead of pcm. I am using a coax cable to go from the dvd player to the receiver. I don't believe it is this seeing as how when I run the test tones built into the receiver I still receive very little bass.

8. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Find out if the subwoofer pre-out is actually sending anything. Try another sub, or connect the sub pre-out to another hi-fi system with speakers (set amp crossover to highest level). If it is reproducing from the 2nd system, and you're using the same RCA-RCA cable then it's most likely faulty sub. If you can't get any sound then it's the amp or cable.

9. Allen_N

I tried hooking it up to my small sub and it ended up frying but I don't think it was the receiver. I'm going to take it to best buy since I have an extended warranty on the receiver and see if they can get it to work. I don't know of anyone local to me that has a home theater that I can try.

10. Tom Vodhanel

Hi Allen,

Are you taking the Kenwood receiver to bestbuy...or the small subwoofer that *fried*? They should be able to check the subwoofer output of the Kenwood very quickly if you do take it in.

Tom V.
    SVS

11. Allen_N

I'm going to take the Kenwood receiver to Best Buy but I doubt if that is it as my Pioneer receiver doesn't output loud bass either. I could have two messed up receivers but I hope not [​IMG] I'm going to pick up a new cable from them as well. I need a longer one anyway.

Both receivers output low bass when it should be much louder.

12. Allen_N

Got the new cable and it didn't help out either so I know my cables are good. I won't be able to take the receiver to best buy until Monday as I'm going out of town tomorrow to Indianapolis for a convention.

Here are my connections:

http://www.4atvtires.com/uploads/pro...es/backSub.JPG

http://www.4atvtires.com/uploads/pro...kReceiver2.JPG

Very simple. The picture of the front of the receiver didn't show the lcds but it is just showing it at doby digital with the lfe on and at -40 volume which is my normal listening volume.

13. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

The only two things I can think of to check are the level of the subwoofer on your receiver and if the mains are set to small. On all the receivers i've messed with you can adjust the level on the subwoofer preamp out on one of the menus. Make sure it isnt like -10 dB or something. And if for some reason you have your main speakers set to large you might wanna try setting them to small. Sometimes the receiver will not send a bass signal if all the speakers are set to large. But I think for DVD's it has to send a bass signal so I dunno if that would help any. It does seem a bit odd that your just getting a very small amount of bass. I wouldnt think it was a bad cable if some was coming through. Its usually no bass when it comes to hardware problems.

Ryan

14. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

1) Have you tried sending an analog signal to the Pioneer and see if there's any sub sound? Could be a problem in the digital decoding.

2) Have you tried sending an analog signal direct to the sub (EG RCA out from the DVD player direct to the sub)? Does it play nice and loud then? Could be you need to turn up the sub-out level on hte AVR, the gain on the sub, or both.

I seem to recall some time ago that some AVRs had compatibility issues with SVS subs/amps and required an amplifier interface. Maybe your AVR needs a boost in the sub gain.

15. Allen_N

I get bass when I turn the gain most of the way up ( probably 90%). The sub setting it set at 0db. Even when I turn it up to 90% or so, the bass isn't very tight. I get bass, it's just really low (db, not hz). I'll try hooking up the dvd straight to the sub and see how that works. Tomorrow I take the AVR to Best Buy and see what they say.

16. Tom Vodhanel

Hi Allen,

When you try to calibrate the system...does the subwoofer produce almost no bass during the calibration seqeunce too?

Tom V.
    SVS

17. Allen_N

That is correct Tom. Using the test tones built into the receiver gives very little bass (but some).

However, I found out last night when unplugging the sub cable from the receiver with it off but the sub on I touched the end. A nice solid woof came out so it appears the sub is working fine. Just the connection has issues. I'm going to drop off the receiver today at Best Buy and see what they say.

I must say, it moves some nice air when I touched the wire end so I can't wait to get my AVR setup situation figured out [​IMG]