What's new

Can't get Sony 57HW40 to work with PVR (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Help!

I'm having difficulties getting my Sony 57HW40 to work with a PVR. I have a cable signal going into the tv, out through the "To Convertor" jack to the PVR, and from the PVR to the "Aux" coaxial input. This is the same hookup as suggested in the guide

When I'm watching the Aux input, everything is fine. However, if I'm watching "Ant" and then toggle to the "aux" input (pvr), the picture momentarily turns to static for about 2 seconds. If the tv is off and the PVR is in standby & tries to record, all it gets is static.

If I switch to twin view, I can actually watch both at the same time. It seems that if I don't have the Aux input display, static is sent to the PVR?

-Dave

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I just hooked up a 2nd tv with the feed from the "to convertor" jack, so that I could see if a signal was being sent when that input wasn't selected. Sure enough, it wasn't. Is this by design? If so, how does anyone hook up any sort of recorder (pvr or vcr)?

-Dave

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why don't you run the cable directly into the PVR and then connect the PVR to the Aux input on your TV?

-Robert

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
I think your best bet is to do the following (sorry if it isn't too clear, but I gotta run). You may need a cable splitter, depending on how many cable runs you will need for your system. If you are using a cable box connected to your PVR, you need to connect the cable input from the cable company into the cable box. You should then connect your cable box to your PVR using S-Video or a/v cables. If you are not using a cable box, you should connect the cable input from the cable company directly to the input on your PVR. You should then connect your PVR to an open a/v input on your HW40 using S-Video or a/v cables. IF you are using a cable splitter, you can run one cable directly into your HW40 into the VHF/UHF jack on the tv. This way, you can use picture in picture. I would avoid the TO Converter and Aux jacks on the HW40. They didn't work well when I tried using them on my Sony. Try doing what I described--it should work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks