What's new

Can't get rid of diagnostic screen on ct-32hx41 (1 Viewer)

Dave_N

Grip
Hi,
I just picked up my Panasonic CT-32HX41 tonight from Sears.
I hooked it up to the digital cable box (both composite and s-video). When I turned it onI noticed that what appears to be some kind of diagnostic status code appears at the top of the screen after about 2 seconds. The code is CHK00003 48454845 09. I can't get rid of it!!! Also the power button on the remote does not turn the TV off/on, instead it changes to what appears to be a service menu.
I suspect that the set was left in a diagnostic mode when it left the factory. Does anyone how to get it out of this mode?
On another note: I have noticed that the s-video input is clearly better than composite on the digital channels (HBO, Encore, etc), but the reverse true for the non-digital channels. This normal?
TIA,
Dave

PeterG

Agent
On the TV set press Action and Power at the same time and hold for several seconds. After this, if it does not shut down turn off the power at the TV set. I believe this should solve your problem although why your TV, when turned on, should be in service mode is a bit of a concern, perhaps as to its previous history.
Regarding why analog stations look worse via S-Video this is common with digital cable boxes. They use extremely rudimentary comb filters and by using the composite output of the cable box you are using the far superior comb filter on your TV. With digital channels, the signal when decoded is in component form so there is very little processing to be done to convert to S-Video
Peter
------------------

Dave_N

Grip
Thanks Peter, that did the trick!
I will try to contact Panasonic customer service today (or Mon.) to see what they think the story is. The date of manufacture is May 2001. Is this a bit 'old' for a set purchased in August? Do TV manufacturers need a couple of months of production in order to work the bugs out of a new production model?
The box did appear to be a bit 'worn' (likely pushed around many warehouse floors), but did appeared to be factory sealed. The packing materials were all in place and all documents and remote were in sealed bags. Could Sears have legally sold me a refurbished TV without disclosure?
As for the picture, absolutely no complaints. The remote sucks, as everyone else seems to point out. No DVD yet so can't report yet on geometry problems, although the channel guide displays from the digital cable box all looks OK.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks