What's new

Can't get regular local stations, does that mean I can't get OTA HD too? (1 Viewer)

ConradC

Grip
I can't seem to get any local stations via indoor antenna. Is it pretty much safe to say I won't be able to get OTA HD signals also?
------------------

Mike I

Supporting Actor
It is a good rule of thumb to use but not always 100% accurate...
------------------

Luke_Y

Second Unit
I have a question on this as well. In regard to HD or digital OTA broadcasts is it like satalite, where you either get the picture great or not at all? Where a higher signal just gives you more cushion in poor conditions not a better picture?
------------------
Luke

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
You have to lock in the digital signal before it will display. However, while you are watching a program you can experience pixelation or complete signal dropout if the locked signal is weak or certain atmospheric conditions such as wind, rain, etc. start affecting the signal. They fact that you couldn't pick up Analog signal via an indoor antenna doesn't necessarily mean you won't get a digital signal. First, what type of antenna are you using and are you also using a pre-amp? How far do you live from the transmitting towers? Where have you tried locating the antenna inside of your house?

ConradC

Grip
Brian: I haven't tried picking up a digital signal yet. In fact I don't have an OTA HD receiver yet. I didn't want to cough up the extra money not knowing if it is possible to pick up a signal.
------------------

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Conrad, unfortunately picking up Digital OTA reception is trial and error. I live 40 miles from the Atlanta Towers and spent alot of time trying different antennas, antenna locations, etc. and I still have only obtained marginally good success. I would suggest borrowing a HD receiver from a friend if possible or asking a local HT store for a demo. Obviously, purchasing one from the web would be your cheapest option but returning the unit would be more difficult. If you live relatively close to the towers, you should be able to get reception with some sort of antenna/pre-amp combo. If you buy your antenna from Radio Shack or Lowe's you can always return it and try something else. Good Luck!

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
Conrad:
What really does make a difference also is whether you are trying to get analog VHF channels compared to the digital channels which are almost always on UHF.
I live about 40 miles from the Boston transmitting towers. I have a radio shack antenna in my attic (combo VHF, UHF). All the VHF channels which are analog come in terribly. The analog UHF channels come in much better. Since the digital channels are all UHF, I can get them perfectly. I get a signal strength of 70 on the worst, and 94 the best. Once you get a signal strength of about 60, you should not have a problem with any drop outs or pixelation. Below that, you might.
I also agree that there is no way to know but to try it.
Good luck.
SMK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks