Can't get rear speakers working--6 Channel cable?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Scott:H, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Scott:H

Scott:H Auditioning

Aug 7, 2004
    I'm trying to figure out this whole home theater thing. I have a Panasonic SA-HE100K Home Theater Receiver--my DVD player offers S-Video and RCA outputs. I'm using the RCAs (left/right channel and video outputs) going into the receiver. I have almost no options as anything I do I get a message on the receiver that says "not available in 6 ch" over and over.

I'm wondering if I use an S-Video cable if this would have any impact about getting the surround working. Or if I need some sort of different RCA cable, or even a new DVD player. Just not sure what direction to go in.

2. chris_bester

chris_bester Agent

Apr 24, 2005
    First thing is your receiver is a 5.1 channel receiver not a 6.1 if you have the right model number listed I looked it up & thats what I found so it will not do 6.1 no matter what. Or do you mean 6 ch as in front right & left, center & right & left rear surrounds???? if so you need digital audio cables like a optical or coxial digital cable running from receiver to dvd player to get 6ch surround sound. Not analog connections which you are using which will only do stereo sound. If you have any more questions feel free to e-mail me [email protected]

PS if your dvd player only has RCAs for audio hook up you wont beable do get digital 5.1 (6ch)
    Chris Bester
  3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    S-video is for video only, so it will have zero impact on your audio, though it will be an improvement for your video.

Using stereo RCA will never get you true surround. Through the correct connections, you should still be able to get simulated surround, so it sounds like you have it connected to the wrong input on the receiver. When using stereo RCA, you should be going to a stereo input, not the 6-ch (multichannel) input, because most receivers will not allow you to apply any DSPs to the multichannel input.

As Chris notes, to get true, discrete surround, you need to get the DVD hooked up to the receiver with a digital optical or coaxial connection. Then you have to make sure the DVD player is setup to correctly output a digital stream in the player's digital audio section in the setup menu. Dolby Digital and DTS (which may need to be turned on also) should be on and set to bitstream.