1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Can't get my surrounds to do anything.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark Riley, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

I bought really cheap (20 each) Dual speakers from Circuit City just so I can have some surround for a while before I upgrade. I don't have really anything hooked up to it that can do surround but I figured that I could do fake surround by having the sound split from front to surround. I just wanna hear these new speakers for myself to see if they are halfway decent for me. The wiring behind the receiver is a mess and I don't feel like switching stuff around to make those the fronts.

I have a Sony DRE-597 receiver. Anything I can do to get the fake surround? The instruction booklet for the receiver confuses the heck out of me but I think I did everything it allowed me to do.(set the distance, high vs low, small vs large etc)

2. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

What dude? Are your rear speakers wired to the rear channel outputs on the back of your receiver?

If you want to "just hear" the dual speakers than you could always unhook your fronts from the speaker terminals and hook up the duals.

3. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Just do as ryan says if you want to hear what your new speakers sound like, but if you want actual surround sound then you do need to wire it from the reciever. I have the exact same reciever as you so if you have any setup problems give me a shout in this thread or pm me. [​IMG]

4. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

Under Speaker A I have all 4 speakers in the right spots like the manual said so I think it is wired correctly. I gotta get to work so if there's something I'm still missing, please let me know. I figure all the speaker A stuff is right. The Fronts work fine.

5. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

You would need to make sure that in your receiver the rear are set to "yes".

6. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

yes you need to have your fronts conntected to the A speakers, the B connection is to the left of the A with clips instead of the knobs(banana connects) If you want to use the 2 new speakers for surround you need to plug them with more wire into the Surround connections which are right below the the Front A connections. Then you need to press the menu button repeatedly until you get to the setup menu use the arrows near the bottom of the remote to scroll over until you get to S-pattern. then press plus or minus until you get the pattern which I believe says 5C0 that is the one with fronts and surrounds but no subwoofer or center. Then make sure to press enter on the reciever, not the remote, or it won't set it.
    Hope that helps [​IMG]

7. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

Aha!! I bet that is it, I didn't do anything with 5C0, I just had set the surrounds to yes. Thank you, I'll try it in the morning since it's 12:40 am here now.

8. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Oh ok, if you set the surrounds to yes then you are in the normal setting as opposed to the quick setup. that means all that stuff I said is useless, ok, I will get back to you in a minute on what to do.

9. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Ok, you want to go to the setup menu, then scroll though the little speaker pictures until you get to the centre one. then press +/- until it says "NO" the other options should be small or large. then, similarly make the subwoofer say no and the surround back channel say no. You should have your mains set on large. and if you like, you can set the rears at large if they are decent and capable of ouputting fair bass.

10. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

I have what you said fine in the last post but I never did anything with the S Pattern. I'm gonna try thta in a minute.

11. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

don't worry about that. that is only for in the easy setup mode, but it sounds like you are in the normal setting, so you won't be able to access the S pattern. Don't worry about it. [​IMG]

12. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

Ok I got it. I did the Test Tone thing and did get some sound so I went into the level menu and messed around to make it audible but not overpowering. The only thing I've tested it with was the Braves game yesterday which was pretty cool but once I get an SACD player, I can play my Rolling Stones hybrids. I wish I had money, I still need the Dayton 10", an Athena AS-C1, and the cheap Pioneer DVD-A/SA-CD player with the right cables(I'm out of speaker wire too). At least I should be getting some sort of raise pretty soon from my job.