Can't get my HT going room moving!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GarryW, Jul 5, 2001.

1. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

I guess this this post belongs here as many of you probably have been in my situation. [​IMG]
    I am passed the planning stages of a 15 x 24 room addition, and new screen porch (for the wife) and hired an architect, completed the design and now nothing's happening. My builder has given me all of the usual excuses, i.e. I'm really busy, had a relative die recently, I was out of town, etc. [​IMG]
    Is there any tips you guy's can give me on how to "create urgency" with out threatning to go out and get someone else? [​IMG]

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

You don't really have to threaten him. You could tell him you're going to "do him a favor" and get someone else. Obviously he has other things to do, maybe he doesn't need this.
    If he can't even get the project started, then who's to say he'll get it finished. Unless he's a good friend, I don't understand the loyalty. Just go hire somebody who gives you the priority you deserve as a paying customer. If you have to keep a fire lit under him, then he's not the kind of builder you want to deal with.
    Bill
    ------------------

3. Eric Trombley

Eric Trombley Auditioning

This builder is obviously not interested. I find that contractors are exceptionally poor at actually conveying there feelings on an issue. In my area (Minneapoli, MN), is is extremely common for contractors to not show up for scheduled estimate meetings, not return calls, etc. Another favorite trick is to give an outlandish quote for something they don't really want to do. For example, I had a quote for 1000.00 to tape and mud the sheetrock I put up in my 19' x 12.5' theater. He said he would go back to his office and get me a 'more accurate' quote, and I heard nothing. He obviously didn't want to do it, I boviously wouldn't have paid that kind of money for that small of a job, so I don't know why he even acted interested in the first place.
    Find a new guy.
    - Eric

4. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

I just talked to him a couple of minutes ago and he is coming over on Saturday! [​IMG]
    Reasons for me not getting rid of him and moving on are that he built us a beautiful 3 car garage and driveway a few years ago and it's just great. He rates are not the cheapest and not the most expensive, and he and his brother have kept very busy over the last 20 years.
    With home mortgage interest rates so low, every builder I talked to seems to be very busy, even though the economy is in the dumps.
    Thanks for your responses. [​IMG]