What's new

cant get a dolby digital feed from dvd player (1 Viewer)

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
DVD player definitely has digital out

reciever definitely has dolby digital recording

dvd is setup to output 5.1 audio stream

would the good money be on me not having purchased the proper cable to connect from the reciever to the dvd player?

if you dont think thats the problem i can provide more specs, but im thinking it sthe cable and just want some other opinions. i thought i got a digital one, but who knows...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
We need more information:
1. What model player and receiver?
2. How is the player connected to the receiver?
3. Have you checked the player's setup options to confirm that DD output is enabled?
oh yeah, i am getting sound, its just dolby pro logic, not digital
OK, let's clarify.
All of the sound on DVD is digital. No exceptions. Dolby Digital can carry anywhere from 1 to 6 channels of sound. Are you sure the disc you're playing has a 5.1 track? If it just has a 2-channel track, you'll generally get ProLogic.
Remember, too, that many DVDs offer a choice between a 2-channel surround track and a 5.1 track, and they often default to the 2-channel. You have to select the 5.1 track from the DVD's menu.
M.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I think Michael hit it. The default sound-track on most DVD's is ProLogic.

Also, the menu system of most DVD's is ProLogic as well. Only after you start playing the actual movie does your receiver detect a DD feed.

If you are getting any sound, it's not the cable.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
It looks like, from first glance, that he is connected via the ANALOG L/R on the DVD player. If you connect to the little red/white jacks on the player- you will get analog audio, which will always be Pro Logic.

1) Make sure you have connected the digital connection on the player to the digital input on the receiver. These will be different jacks from the analog l/r.

2) Make sure the DVD player has DD turned on (some don't by defualt- and you have to go into a setup menu to make DD send bitstream).

3) Make sure the receiver is set to surround mode-- some receivers will downmix 5.1 to 2.0 unless you specifically have a "surround" feature turned on-- my old Pioneer did that.

4) Make sure you have a DVD with a 5.1 track on it. Dolby Digital doesn't necessarily mean 5.1: check the disc and make sure you have selected the 5.1 mix from the menu.

5) If you have connected BOTH an analog and the digital connections from the DVD to the Receiver, make sure the receiver is set to DIGITAL so it isn't looking at the wrong signal.

-V

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
alright, guys, first specs, just in case:

onkyo tx-ds575x reciever

jbl nsp1 5 speaker package

jbl pb10 sub

i definitely have the dvd player connected with a a/v cable, and theres only one plug on it, so its all or nothing, im definitely not using the l/r plugs.

im going to check the dvd player settings right now, to make sure theres not a setting, i never checked that

and on the dvd itself i thought i was selecting the dolby digital stream, but theres always the chance i was just going back to the main menu or something instead of selecting the dolby digital

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
alright, problem solved, after searching the dvd player's manual we did have to go into a setup and change the way the dvd player was sending the info, from pcm to bitstream, and to turn on dts...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
change the way the dvd player was sending the info, from pcm to bitstream, and to turn on dts...
Well done! You killed two birds with one stone. (You'd be amazed how many people post about not getting DTS, only to find that it's a simple menu switch in the player.)

Enjoy!

M.

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
This is a VERY good question. I ran into this problem
awhile back when I was setting up a friends system.
I still have Prologic:frowning: So I was not familiar with
this situation. It took me about two hours to figure
out what was the problem. And yes it was the DVD player
setup menu that needed to be changed. Now I know what
to do when I eventualy get me a real system:D

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
looking back *and its only been one day* i feel pretty stupid for not having checked the setup before this, but i guess i was just afraid i had bought the wrong cable. oh well.

getting into the setup wasnt easy either, i had to have the dvd player in stop mode before i could enter the setup, and i kept trying to get into it while i was at the disc menu

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks