1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Can't get 5.1 on my xbox - is my system compatible?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Nicola, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Steve Nicola

Steve Nicola Auditioning

My home theatre system doesn't have a stand-alone amp as such, instead my 'receiver' is a Sony mini hi-fi component system (the MHC-NX3AV) which is hooked up to my DVD player and provides me with 5.1 surround sound.

On the back of my receiver is a port labelled 'Digital Out - Optical' which I assumed I could connect to my xbox via the Advanced Scart pack with an optical cable and get 5.1. But it doesn't work, I get no sound at all. I enabled dolby digital in the xbox settings menu. There are no other digital ports on my receiver.

Is my system not designed to get 5.1 from my xbox, do I need a 'proper' dedicated amp? I assumed that because I could get 5.1 from my DVD player I should be able to get 5.1 from xbox too - is this right?

So I basically need to know whether the cable or xbox may be faulty, or if my system just isn't able to accept 5.1.

Can anybody help me, I'm fairly new to home theatre. Thanks.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Steve, you sure it is "Digital Out" on your receiver? If so, then it wouldn't work, as it looks like your receiver only OUTPUTs the signal from your DVD player, and cannot take a digital INPUT from your xbox!

Unless you meant to say input...

3. Steve Nicola

Steve Nicola Auditioning

It is definitely a 'Digital Out' port. Loking at the manual, it says it's for connecting a mini-disc player.
    So there's no hope for me with my current set-up and I'm destined to make do with Pro Logic [​IMG]
    This is probably a dumb novice question, but is there anything I can buy to make it work, like an add-on or something, or would I need to buy a proper amp with a digital in port?

4. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

How do you have your DVD player hooked up?

5. Steve Nicola

Steve Nicola Auditioning

It is definitely a 'Digital Out' port. Loking at the manual, it says it's for connecting a mini-disc player.
    So there's no hope for me with my current set-up and I'm destined to make do with Pro Logic [​IMG]
    This is probably a dumb novice question, but is there anything I can buy to make it work, like an add-on or something, or would I need to buy a proper amp with a digital in port?

6. Steve Nicola

Steve Nicola Auditioning

Oops, sorry about repeating my last post.

My DVD player is connected to my receiver via 6 phono leads (front and rear left and right, centre and woofer). There is a 'digital out' section on my DVD player with a coaxial port and an optical port, tried it in there but no joy. Any ideas Graeme?

7. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Sounds like your receiver is "digital ready" and has no decoder of it's own. That being the case, it's not compatible with the XBOX.

If you want to use the digital capabilities of the BOX, then you'll have to upgrade your receiver to one with an onboard Dolby Digital processor.

You mentioned having a "standalone" amp a couple of times....this is not what you need. You simply need a newer receiver that has it's own digital decoder/processor. You can get a pretty good unit from about $200 and up.

8. Steve Nicola

Steve Nicola Auditioning

Thanks Mike, I'll investigate getting a new receiver. I'm desperate to play Halo in it's full 5.1 glory [​IMG]

9. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Yeah...the sound in Halo will hook you.
    If you're partial to Sony, they have a model with built in decoders for Dolby Digital and DTS for $200. You can see if at www.circuitcity.com. Check out Sony model number STRDE485.
    Not sure of it's rep....I'm not a Sony man myself, but it's worth a look.