What's new

Can't get 1080p with HDMI OUT of Onkyo TX-SR608 (1 Viewer)

jnule1a

Auditioning
Real Name
John Nul
When I connect the HDMI OUT of my new ONKYO TX-SR608 to a SAMSUNG TV (40B650) HDMI port, I get only 720p. I tried to set MONITOR OUT to 1080p or Auto instead of the default Through, but the problem remains.

If I connect a PS3 to the Samsung HDMI port, I do obtain 1080p.

What did I miss ?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If the source to which you are referring is cable or satellite, then it's to be expected.

Neither cable nor satellite transmit 1080p signals. HD broadcasts are either 1080i or 720p. You can probably configure your set-top box to convert its outgoing signal to 1080p, but that really won't make any difference, as your TV internally converts everything it gets to 1080p already, and chances are your TV will do a better job of converting than your cable or satellite box.

The only common source of native 1080p signals is Blu-Ray.

Edit - I just re-read your post and realize I misunderstood your explanation of the problem. I'll do some searching and get back to you if I can find anything.

jnule1a

Auditioning
Real Name
John Nul
Here are some more details about my 720p problem:

- When the PS3 (that is set to 1080p) is connected to HDMI 1 of the receiver and HDMI OUT is connected to the TV HDMI, the TV displays a blue screen. But the on-sreen setup can be displayed (at 720p) on the TV.

- If I set the PS3 to 720p, the PS3 video is displayed on the TV (at 720p).

- If I set the PS3 to 1080p and connect it directly to the TV HDMI, the PS3 video is displayed correctly on the TV at 1080p.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
OK,

After re-re-reading your explanation, there is some ambiguity as to whether you're describing ONLY the PS3 as your source, or if you indeed are comparing different sources.

If your PS3 is set to output 1080p and your TV only gets 1080p when the PS3 is connected to the TV directly, and not when going through the receiver, then you were correct in changing the setting of MONITOR OUT to 1080p or "Through" to ensure the signal that leaves the Onkyo is 1080p or the same as whatever it was when it was input to the Onkyo.

If that's the case, and you had no luck, there are a couple more things to try:

• Try connecting the PS3 to a different input on the Onkyo (try "BD/DVD instead of "Game")
  • If you have "Game Mode" turned on, try turning it off. Game Mode being on may bypass some image processing (including scaling) in the interests of reducing audio lag.

Beyond that, I'm not sure of a workaround solution other than contacting Onkyo and discussing the issue with them.

Good luck.

Oh, you could try a different HDMI cable, too. Nothing too outrageous from Monster, but one from www.monoprice.com would be more than sufficient.

jnule1a

Auditioning
Real Name
John Nul
Hello Jason,

I tried without success your suggestions (connecting the PS3 to an other HDMI IN, Game off, a few other brands HDMI cables).

Actually, the receiver and the TV are at 576p (720x576) and not at 720p as I formerly stated. This is the lowest european resolution.

I think there is something wrong with the resolution negotiation between the receiver and the TV because as soon as I connect the 2 devices, they fall to this resolution (and the On screen setup displays with this resolution).

I highly appreciate your discussion

jnule1a

Auditioning
Real Name
John Nul
At last, I think that the problem is probably due to a resolution negotiation difficulty between the Onkyo receiver and the Samsung TV: the receiver in its default setting selects 50Hz (Miscellaneous>OSD Setup>TV Format= Auto) whereas the TV uses 60Hz, except for the 576p resolution. When I switch TV Format to NTSC (even if I am living in Europe where PAL should be the rigth selection), the receiver makes use of 60Hz and 1080p@60Hz gets selected !!!! If this tip can help someone else, I would be very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks