Can't find RP82 anywhere. What else compares?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Jan 1, 2003.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

The title pretty much says it. I want to buy a Panasonic RP82, based on all the raves it has recieved here, but I just can't find one.
    So what else matches it in quality for around the same price?
    Any suggestions?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

James, check out the Panasonic DVD-CP72, which is the carousel changer version of the 'RP82. From what has been said here, the 'CP72 offers similar performance to the 'RP82, and the 'CP72 is readily available. Check OneCall (1-800-340-4770) and J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) for the best price. Panasonic is also offering a $30 mail-in rebate on the 'CP72. After the mail-in rebate, you should be able to score a 'CP72 through J&R or OneCall for under $200. One last thing to note is that the 'CP72 is available in black or silver. Check www.crutchfield.com for pictures and more information on the 'CP72.
    Another player to consider is the Panasonic 'XP50. The 'XP50 is a single-disc progressive-scan DVD-Audio player, but it comes in a fancier, slim chassis. It doesn't have a coaxial digital output like the 'RP82 (optical only), but it has gold-plated RCA outputs. Crutchfield recently had it for $250, but they sold out. You may be able to find it through OneCall or J&R.
    One more player that you might consider is the Pioneer DV-656A, which is a $200 single-disc progressive-scan DVD-Audio player. Like the 'RP82, the '656A comes in silver. See crutchfield.com for more on the '656A.

3. James Zos

Thanks Keith for the fast and informative response!

I was considering the CP72, but I don't need a carousel changer and some people have mentioned problems with the CP72. Still, they seem to be in the minority so maybe I should take a chance. As for the XP50 and the Pioneer, I had never heard of either, so I'll definitely look into those.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

James, I just noticed that OneCall does not have the Panasonic 'XP50 on its web site. J&R has it listed for $279.88 online (www.jandr.com).

5. James Zos

From what I can tell, the thing that makes the RP82 so special is the Sage FL12200 DCDI deinterlacer. At least that is what I read on this forum. So Keith, do you - or anyone else out there - know if the XP50 has this same chip?
    The XP50 definitely looks like a nice machine in any event.

6. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

James,
    I have reviewed and confirmed the Panasonic XP50 and it does have the exact same video section as the RP82. Please go here to read my review and see internal pics of the Panasonic XP50.

7. James Zos

Great review, Jason, thanks for the link! I'm now leaning strongly toward the XP50. I just wish it was in black, like all my other equipment. The RP82 came in silver OR black, right?

8. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

The RP82 only comes in silver with a chrome-mirrored faceplate. I actually like the silver even though it is the only silver component on my black AV rack. The mirrored face on the RP82 kind of looks black in a dark room so it doesn't bother me at all especially when I amazed by the PQ this machine puts out. The CP72(Same exact video section of RP82/XP50) right now is definitely the best deal with it's $30 Mail In Rebate. I gave up on the CP72 because I had 2 in a row that exhibited poorly grounded component outputs which showed up as rolling horizontal band flashes on darker scenes. My RP82 and the XP50 I has showed no signs of this at all. If you are shying away from the Cp72 because it is a carousel changer I would recommend trying to get a XP50 and make sure the hard to read bright blue LCD display on it doesn't bother you. I didn't like the small LCD display on the CP72, especially compared to the much bigger one on the RP82 and XP50.

9. James Zos

Well, it definitely sounds like the XP50 for me then.

Thanks to Keith and Jason for helping me come to this decision!

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

James, no problem. If you get an 'XP50, please post your impressions here.