Can't find PRINCESS DIARIES dvd in ws for rent

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bill lopez, Dec 18, 2001.

1. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

I was at HOLLYWOOD VIDEO to rent PRINCESS DIARIES and they had Full-Screen only! [​IMG]

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

And this surprises you? IMO, Hollywood Video is as bad as Blockbuster anymore. I wouldn't mind this practice so much if these video stores would stock at least a few widescreen editions. It's irksome to see forty-plus pan and scan copies of say, The Mummy Returns, sitting on the shelves. Would it freakin' kill them to stock five or six widescreen copies?

3. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I had to rent this at Hollywood Video in PS as well, since this is the only way for me to see it, w/o buying it sight unseen.
    But, I guess If I like it, I'll buy it WIDESCREEN[​IMG]

4. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Since the movie is rated G, I might as well wait for free t.v. then since I won't be missing a thing! As I see it I saved me $4.[​IMG]

5. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

Even worse, for those considering buying it....

Was in a Borders in Boston today....No WS available for sale. They checked the computer and it looked like NONE of the Boston area stores had any, nor were expecting to receive any.

6. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

About two months ago stopped in at Blockbuster and finally asked the one question that we all want to know, “What the HELL do you have against letterboxing?”

The first thing that the manager told me was that no one was interested in letterboxing to begin with. I asked him simply, then why would the studios take the time to begin with to release a letterboxed version if the public didn’t care. No answer.

Next, he tried to tell me that it was all a matter of money. That they paid about $80 a piece for a pan and scan DVD while the letterboxed editions were roughly $20 higher. I can not begin to tell the smell of crap that was filling the air. He said why should they spend the extra money when those copies will not be rented to begin with.

I asked him what will happen to their inventory in a few years when buying all the P & S copies that they are verses widescreen, when 16X9 televisions become the norm. He said that they would simply have to reinvest the money. To that, I asked why not invest in them now and then that would increase their profit margins in the long run.

He proceeded to tell me about a new video store on the other side of town that would better suit ‘my needs.’

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

People who want widescreen must be kind of 'weird' or 'nerdy' or 'quirky' to want widescreen or watch a movie with black bars. This is the attitude of a Blockbuster store I know of.

8. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

Even the Disney stores here Toronto all have the dvd for sale only in "Full Screen". I saw them at Sears on Tuesday for sale, amazingly enough all were ws, but are now all sold out.

At $21.99Cdn the Disney store would have the best price, but who the hell wants in Pan & Scan?

Only le petit illiterate bourgeoisie pigs!

9. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Futureshop has the widescreen one here for $24.99.

Toys R Us has the FF one for $22.99

ARGH.

Oh well $2 bucks isn't that much.

10. Tom Da

Tom Da Auditioning

Family Video is the place to go for a WS version of the movie. I just rented it last night.[​IMG]