What's new

Can't find MDF (1 Viewer)

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on building a tempest sonotube but I cannot find MDF. The local lumber and hardware stores sells something called sound deadening board, which they told me is used for speaker cabinet, but it is only 1/2" thick. Could I use this and glue two sheets together? If not what other kind of wood(that is relatively cheap)could I use for my endcaps?
Unfortunately the closet home depot or lowes is 2 1/2 hours away.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Well if it's a dense as MDF then laminate 3 layers together. If it's particle board don't use it. An other option is to use 3 layers of 3/4" plywood.

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
If I use plywood should I use the same thickness that I was going to use with the mdf or do I have to make thicker endcaps.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
It depends which kind of plywood you are using. High grade cabinet plywoods (appleply, marine grade ply) are stronger and resonate less than MDF (so you could make thinner caps). However, those plywoods are $$$. Cheap plywood is a PITA and should be avoided (IMO).
Greg

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
One of the lumber yards had something called industrial strength particle board. Do you think that is usable? I can't afford the birch and apple ply stuff, the whole point on building this was to save money.

Bob Sorel

Stunt Coordinator
How far is it to the nearest Home Depot? They carry MDF in 1/2" and 3/4" thicknesses and will even cut it up for you. I know you live in the boonies of Maine, but there must be one within driving distance, right?
------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone for the help I finally found a building supply store that was willing to order it for me, they are about an hour away but I ordered a couple of sheets. Now I am trying to hunt down sonotube.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks