Can't find any ISF calibrators - what questions do I ask?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kincade, May 26, 2004.

1. Kincade

Kincade Second Unit

I'm looking to have my KP53HS30 RPTV calibrated, but almost every contact i've called in my area (salt lake city) that is listed on the ISF's website is either out of business, or doesn't seem to know what i'm talking about.[​IMG]

What questions can I ask to make sure the calibrator knows what he's doing, before I shell out $500 for nothing?

I hear all the terms, SVM disabling, focus, grey scales, geometry, convergence, etc - but I'm not sure what they're SUPPOSED to do.

FWIW, if anyone knows of a decent calibrator in Utah, please let me know!

TIA,

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Pricing depends entirely on what you want done. An ISF guy is trained to do grayscale and color and user controls. They will not do any physical work. This has an SRP of $275 ...

If you want the physical work ... in addition to the ISF part, then you can pay anywhere from $400 to ??? $700 or more ... and again ... depends on what you ask for.

If you cannot find anyone locally ... look for a travelling calibrator. The Keohihdtv site is a good place to start to research what the better ISF Video Calibrators do.

Regards

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Kincade:

Give Gregg Loewen a call at Lion AV Consultants and see when he is going to be out in your area again. He is all over the country so I wouldn't be surprised if he is in your neck of the woods in a short time. He will also be able to give you a rough idea what you are looking at in the way of costs.

Parker

4. Kincade

Kincade Second Unit

Michael,

Thanks - i'll check out that site.

Parker,

Thanks for the info - I saw that gregg is on tour to NV this month, hopefully he gets somewhere around here. I emailed him direct and from his webpage. Hope to hear back from him!