What's new

can't do a trick on Tricky (1 Viewer)

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
Trying to get through the trick book tricks and can't figure out how to do a move that has a back or forward flip combined with a side spin. E.g a BS (>)180 + forward flip. If I do both in the air, it counts it as 2 separate moves, not one. Any ideas?

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I just rented this one last night, so I can't really help you there. I still can't figure out how the heck one can hit the A, Y, and right trigger button at the same time! Usually I use my thumb for the face buttons and my index finger for the triggers, but in order to hit both the A and Y, I have to put my index finger on the Y and pull the trigger with my middle or ring finger--very uncomfortable!
You seem like you're a bit further ahead of me, Brett--any tips on how you manage to pull one of the A+Y+R trigger tricks? :)

Drew Dockery

Stunt Coordinator
Brett, it sounds like you are doing the flip, THEN the sidespin. You need to do them both at once. Press the D-pad diagonally nd this should solve your problem unless I' misunderstanding. Try practicing it in the trick book and watch the controller diagram.

Dave, you wouldn't have that problem on the PS2 with 4 shoulder buttons. I know that doesn't help much, but that exactly why I got it on PS2 instead of waiting for one of the other versions... I just couldn't see the control working as well.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
(Sigh) I figured as much. Thanks, Drew. Maybe with practice I can get used to playing with two fingers on the face buttons. I love the Xbox triggers, but this is definitely one drawback to only having two of them to use.

Perhaps I can train a small monkey to hit the "Y" button on cue.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I absolutely love this game! It took me awhile, but I finally got through Elise's (first character I played) trick book. I thought I was going to have a heartattack trying to pull off the Breakdancer 1260 move. Yikes, that was tough! All I have left to do is get a gold on Alaska showoff (and Pipedream if there's medals for that). Then I have to start all over again.

Dave, I have a PS2 and a Gamecube (no Xbox, yet!) and I got the PS2 version for the exact reasons you listed. It just seems like some games (particularly games designed FOR the PS2 first) that use all the buttons are hard to translate. I don't really care if the Xbox version looks better, if it doesn't control as well. That's why I probably won't ever get Madden on the Gamecube, either. So nice to have both (soon all three) so you can get the best version of each title. Remember, boys and girls, gameplay and control are the two most important qualities in a game!

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
Drew,

It seems that when I hit it diagonally, the rider does a "rodeo" which is cool but not the trick they describe. I'll go to the tutorial. Another question, when they show some of the button combos for the tricks some buttons are larger (sort of highlighted), does that mean you have to press them first? I've ignored that and it hasn't really affected anything.

Dave, I have a PS2 so I can't help you with the button configurations you were describing.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Brett,

No, the R2 and L2 just look bigger in the instructions on how to do the trick because they physically are bigger on the PS2 controller.

The tutorial is a very big help, because you can practice the trick in a no stress environment. Much easier than trying to do a new complicated trick AND win a race AND not land on something (or someone) etc.

I noticed that some of the moves have for instance a 360 flip with a 720 spin. If you press the up (or down) and the right (or left) buttons for the same amount of time, you'd get 360 flip with a 360 spin, or a 720 flip with a 720 spin...both axes are equal. If you need to flip more than spin or spin more than flip, you have to let off of the appropriate button at the right time. It's "tricky" but it can be done with practice.

Hope that made some sense! I'm atrocious at these games, and I managed to do it, so I'm sure anyone can with a little practice.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I got through Eddie's trick book in two days. Now, I'm trying to get 6 Uber-tricks in one track. Easiest one to do it on: Tokyo Megaplex.

I'm not sure if I want to go through each character's trick book to get all the tricks. Does anyone know if you have to get every medal with every character to unlock every costume for every character?

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Yes, you do. Finishing a chapter in a character's trick book gives you a costume. Finish the trick book and you'll have all but one of the costumes, the MASTER (chrome) one. I'm using Elise, and the only thing I have left to do is beat Alaska and Pipedream in Showoff. The only costume I'm missing is her MASTER one. I don't know if I'm going to do the rest of the characters. I had trouble with one trick in Elise's trickbook (the Breakdancer 1260) because I couldn't find enough air to do it, and was having trouble getting the timing right to do it on Tokyo Megaplex in the big chute or the air vents. I finally did it on Elysium Alps in showoff mode, as there is one HUMONGOUS ramp right at the beginning. The only other problem I've had is getting a Gold on Aloha Ice Jam in Showoff...I couldn't mess up more than once and get it. I finally got it by 16 points! Alaska looks pretty bad, though. You need 500,000 points to get a Gold. I haven't the slightest idea where to get enough air for Ubers, so I assume some railriding through some 5x red snowflakes is in order. I'll be tackling that tonight!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So to get everything for one character, you must:

Complete the trick book

Get medals on all the Races in World Circuit

Get medals on all the Showoffs in World Circuit

And what else?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
If you are getting a rodeo rather than a 180 & flip, you might be spinning too much. Try prewinding less or stopping the spinning while in fight. If you are spinning too much, you could also switch to an Alpine board, which won't spin very well.
For the A+Y+R tricks, don't use A! :) One of the other buttons (B I think) does the same thing, so it is easy to press Y and the second button with your thumb.
And to unlock everything for a character, get gold medals in all races, all showoffs & complete the trick book.
Alaska gold is a b***h! Doing an uber through the 5x flakes is the key. Once I hit both a 5x & a 3x while doing an uber! Man, I wish I could've saved that replay. :)
-Dave

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Well, after two hours on Alaska showoff, the best I could do was 368000. You need 500000 to get gold. I think I can do it, though. The last big jump after the wind tunnel has a 2x, 3x and 5x flakes. For some reason I mis-timed the jump and got none of the flakes, and also wiped out doing my second uber in that jump. I think if I had landed the ubers with the flakes I would have had it. Oh well, maybe tomorrow!

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
I'm embarrased to admit this but after playing the original SSX about a million times and Tricky a thousand times, I have just realized that you can hold the spin button (side or flip) as part of the pre-wind. I just did a BS 1800 on Garibaldi and got a "???" on a couple of spins (maybe it doesn't register in the 2000's?). I don't think the trick book will be a problem now. BTW, Elise is smokin' in the Lady Law outfit. That's not immature is it? :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I just don't want to go through and get each character's outfits and boards. I wish that once you got them for one, you got them for all.

So far, I have all of Eddie's Trick Book and around half of the levels with medals in showoff and race.

ChrisV

Second Unit
Well, I don't. That would make it so that you could unlock everything in the game in just a few hours. What's the point?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I do, simply because I would like to play the game with friends and not be able to kick their asses so easily, just because I'm using Eddie.

If you can beat the game in a few hours for one character, imagine doing that few hours for around 10 characters. Thats a little more time than I'm willing to spend on a snowboarding game.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Then just wait for the inevitable "unlock everything" cheat code, or have friends play as Eddie. Personally, I'd rather spend the time on a snowboarding game than a linear RPG.

-Dave

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I see your point, and while I would disagree about the snowboarding vs. RPG comment (and I strongly do, though it depends on the actual snowboarding/RPG in question), I will say that I just don't want to do something monotonous (like the same levels/tricks/tasks) but would rather just do it once. This game is the type where I feel that the replay value should come in playing it for fun or against friends, not in doing the exact same thing over and over again.

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Just got this game and have never played the prior one...so I've got a newbie question:

Why is it the computer boarders can fly off the ramps much higher than I can? They fly over my head like crazy...hehehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks