Can't decide.........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Newton, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

between the Denon 3803, Pioneer 45 & the Sony 4ES. I listened to all three today & actually liked the Sony. All of the settings were virtually the same, the same speakers, the same dvd. The Sony sounded "stronger", sharper. THe rear channels sounded more like they wrapped around. The Pioneer sounded good also. Just can't come to a decision, keep swaying back and forth. Will be used mainly for HT, with either Klipsch RF3's or B & W 603's. Any thoughts.........[​IMG]

2. JimmyA

JimmyA Extra

I've been going back and forth between the 3803 and the 45TX and am currently leaning heavily towards the 45TX.

The primary reasons I'm thinking about going withthe 45TX is because of the MCACC auto-calibration and the front input jacks (the 3803 doesn't have front jacks).

When you listened to the 45TX was it calibrated? If not, I suggest you work with the retailer and have them calibrate the 45TX for the speakers you are listening to. It will most-likely make a difference in sound. Remember, not only will it calibrate delays and so forth, it will also use its built-in equilizer to adjust to the room acoustics (something that won't happen on the Denon and the Sony). This could change your mind on sound.

Last week, I was in a store listening to the 3803 and a 47TX and noticed that the speaker levels seemed to be quite a bit low (Klipsch RB-3 mains and RC-3 Center). It was slow in the store that day, so the sales rep volunteered to recalibrate the 47TX to these speakers. The whole process took about 5 minutes, and when we went back in to listen again, there was a HUGE difference in how things sounded. Granted, this was the 47TX and not the 45TX, but for what we were listening to, it shouldn't have sounded much different (they both have the same 5-band equalizer).

When it's all said and done, I plan for my setup to include Klipsch RB-5II mains, RC-3II Center and Mirage Omnisats for Rear/Surrounds. Plus the soon-to-be-announced SVS box sub.

To reiterate, don't make a final sound decision on the 45TX until you have it calibrated and hear what it's capable of sounding like!

3. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

I STRONGLY 2nd the 45tx option. Really like them & the auto MCACC is all that.

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I would strongly recomend the Pioneer Elite 45tx as well. With the MCACC feature the Pioneer should sound better overall and can help especially if you have mixed speaker brands. It will also do a better job at adjusting the accustics in your listening area. I just got thru listening to a 45tx today and it was very impressive for the money. The surround sound imaging and clairity were very nice. The MCACC feature is invaluable and the DTS-ES sounds awsum. Let us know how it works out for you, and what you decide on?

5. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

THe salesman did a quick calibration on all of the units. He set each speaker level the same on all three units. Of course his first demo was with the Denon. The Sony seemed like the center channel was cleaner, clearer. The surrond sounds seemed stronger. Overall it seemed like it had more "umph" than the other two units. Again, the salesman set each channel level at "0" for all of the units. This may not be the proper procedure, but that is why I am asking for opinions.

6. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Brad,
    You are right about the sony 4es having stronger/clearer center channel and seperation plus it has the best bass management on the market not to mention all the other tweaks. I dont know why other people dont hear the sony as having better seperation, center channel dialogue etc..Ive compared it directly to the marantz, pioneer and yammie..to me the sony is better for ht. Now if your talking about music then thats a whole different animal and this is where the sony falls short..
    Im not a sony owner at the moment as I own the HK avr8000 but I have owned the sony 777, at the same time I had the denon 3802 and for movies the sony was better to me..I've also owned onkyo 898,lex dc-2,dc-1,mc-1,denon4802,3300 and for movies I highly recommend sony (if you dont want logic 7 that is[​IMG] )...

7. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Brad:

You can't set the receivers all on 0 db volume level and say that is the same. The louder receiver will usually sound better with more umph....

You could take a Rat Shack db meter in to make sure they are all at the same volume and then listen to how they sound. IMHO..

Mike

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

even the meter won't be accurate enough, one would have to level match using a VOM at the speaker terminals and i seriously doubt the salesman would go for that. i think you need to focus on the feature set and determine if one model is more to your liking than another. a decision i'm afraid that's yours and yours alone.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I used a Sony VS333ES for a little over a year and liked it a lot. It had the same wide range of adjustment options as the new 4es, and 110 wpc but was only 5.1. I calibrated it with AVIA and the RS meter, adusted all the adjustments and was happy.

I recently purchased a Pioneer VSX45TX.
    It comes with a microphone on a 20 ft cord that you plug into the front of the receiver. You place the microphone at your listening position and select auto setup on the onscreen display. After 5 minutes or so of weird noises from the speakers you're done calibrating.

With the exact same speakers in the exact same positions as with the Sony I had a much better sounding system--better balanced, punchier, better defined. It sounded like I'd not only gotten a new receiver but an upgraded set of speakers!!

The Sony is a fine unit, as is the Denon, but you're gonna have to pry the Pioneer remote out of my cold dead hand.

10. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

If you liked the sound of the Sony best (and it has the features you want), then buy that and don't be swayed by what people say on this (or other) forum(s). For purchasing, forums are only to help narrow the choices down - your ears are the final arbiter.

Of course, it might help to know what speakers were used to demo the 3 receivers.

11. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

12. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I second what Craig_Kg said.

13. David James

David James Stunt Coordinator

Craig and Vincent are 100% correct. You plan on spending $700-$1000. You have to live with the decision, not the people on this forum.

14. FrankJo

FrankJo Extra

John, what is wrong with the music capabilities to sony ?, i have an sony Str-va555es and its the best i have heard also to music

15. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

16. Scott_Jua

Scott_Jua Stunt Coordinator

although I can't comment on music (my music ranges from 100$-maybe 1500$ production costs: PUNK) I just posted in another thread my take on these receivers: I'll quote here: