Cant decide Which remote to go with...

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Ali_, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Ali_

Ali_ Extra

Sony RM-AV3100

Logitech Xbox 360 Harmony Remote

i can not decide which Remote to go with guyz. I have whatever most people have in their homes...TV,Tivo,DVD player,Surround sound,xbox 360,VCR, i dont know which remote to go wiht....Please HELP!!!

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I have a Harmony 659, and although I use it nearly exclusively to control my lowly system (receiver, dvd, cd changer, hdtv tuner, computer), the direction pad is not ideal. I would have preferred a joystick. I also find myself scrolling through long list of functions to find obscure, but useful functions-- the 659 doesn't have enough hard buttons for all the functions. There are other remotes in the product lineup that have the joystick, more buttons besides, but I can't afford to upgrade to the 880.

The XBox 360 Harmony appears to be a slightly modified version of he 520, hwich has even fewer buttons than the 659.

I don't have a DVR (my god... the horror, the horror), but I'm led to understand that TIVOs have lots of useful buttons which aren't present on any harmony below the 688.

I haven't used the Sony 3100.

3. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

If you're still looking for more alternatives, you might want to consider the HomeTheaterMaster line. I use a MX700 myself, which I find to be a very good fit for my needs.

I highly recommend www.remotecentral.com as a great resource for everything you ever wanted to know about remotes. Beware there are lots of options, but once you set up a customizable remote to your own specific tastes, it's hard to go back.

-- Dave