Can't decide HSU VTF-3 or SVS 20-39PC+

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry.P, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Terry.P

Terry.P Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone that has heard or demo'd both subwoofers please voice an opinion. I can't decide between the two. They both cost roughly the same amount new but I can get a pretty good deal on a used VTF-3. Would I notice a distinct difference between the two. I know that they are both great subwoofers and I don't want to start HSU vs. SVS war but I am really on the fence this time. The subwoofer would be used for 85% HT and 15% music. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance.

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I would say 85% HT gives the nod to the SVS. More extension, more volume.

3. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

85% for home theater?

SVS.

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

In one of the reviews on SVS' site, the reviewer preferred the less expensive 25-31pci to the VTF-3. Check the review section at www.svsubwoofers.com.

5. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

First thing, How good a deal on the Non-SVS woofer box, when you look at the big picture, Quality, Service, Price there IS only 1 choice and you already know what that choice is. . .

6. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I had both the VTF-3 and 20-39CS+ (which is a 20-39PC+ w/o the onboard amp) side by side for over 6 weeks in the same listening room. The VTF-3 is a great sub, but for "HT" there honestly is no comparison,

20-39PC+

7. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Let's stack up the similarly priced SVS 20-39PC+ against the HSU VTF-3:

Internal volume:
    The SVS has about twice the internal volume of the HSU.

Port area:
    The SVS has 50% more port area than the HSU.

Power:
    The SVS has a 525W amp, and the HSU has a 250W amp.

Rated tuning points:
    The SVS is tuned to 20 Hz with all three ports open. The HSU is tuned to 22 Hz with its two ports open.

Tuning flexibility:
    The SVS can be tuned to 20, 16, or even 12 Hz with the factory supplied port plugs. The HSU can only be tuned to 22 Hz or 18 Hz with the one supplied port plug.

Tuned Port Area:
    By plugging one port, the SVS can be tuned to 16 Hz with the same port area as the HSU at 22 Hz. If you plug a port on the HSU for the 18 Hz tune, you are down to only one 3" port.

SS Filters:
    The SVS has a 4 position SS filter with settings for 25, 20, 16, and 12 Hz to correspond with the various tuning points. There is no mention on the HSU website of a SS filter on the HSU 250W plate amp. If it has one, it's certainly not user controllable nor is it adjustable for frequency.

Phase Control:
    The SVS has an infinitely variable phase control between 0 and 180 degrees. The HSU phase switch can only be set to 0 or 180 degrees. In a room with difficult tuning modes, or where two subs are employed in different locations, infinitely variable phase control is a big advantage.

Drivers:
    Both the SVS and the HSU employ high excursion 12" drivers. I have not seen the T/S parameters for either driver, so calling a clear winner here is tough.

Summary:

The SVS has more internal volume, more port area (both stock and tuned), and more power. The SVS has deeper rated extension (both stock and tuned). The SVS has more tuning flexibility. The SVS has a better SS filter, and a better phase control.

With more power, more internal volume, more port area, and lower tune point(s), on paper the SVS should beat the HSU in both output and extension. We will have to wait for an independent review to confirm that, though. I could have purchased either sub for $850 - I had no preconceived notions either way. After a thorough analysis, the SVS was the clear winner IMHO for the same price.

Regards,

Ed

8. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Quality, Service, Price there IS only 1 choice and you already know what that choice is. . .

Damn right! Hsu all the way!

9. Terry.P

Terry.P Stunt Coordinator

Guys....Thanks for the comments so far.

Ed, I drew a very similar conclusion after hours of research on the net. Thanks for taking the time to write the reinforcing comments and analysis.

If all things are equal from a fiscal perspective I believe that I would have give the nod to SVS just based on the virtue of more "bang for the buck".

I have an offer to pickup a HSU VTF-3 for $495 plus shipping. I was already planning on trying to buy a b-stock SVS since there really is no used market for the 20-39PC+ yet. Basically the difference is roughly 495-775=$280. I'm stuck on that. I'm looking to make a 5 year subwoofer investment and I want 100% jaw dropping a$$ kicking bass for my DVD's,HDTV & Music in that order. I don't mind paying extra if I will notice it in the first place. Sure, I can always get the VTF-3 & sell it down the road if I'm not happy but I would rather not invest the energy this time around.

Since the SVS appears to be the winner of the comparison on paper, will I really perceive the difference between the two in my actual living room (14'x17.5')?

10. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

You claim DVD is your priority. I refer you to BrianKR's post, above. He owned both, and he says for HT there is really no comparison. I have no reason to doubt him. I'm sure he would be able to extrapolate or expand on that comment if you ask him.

Ed

11. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

For a great product, AWESOME one on one questions/tuning/just flat out taking care of you in every way, shipping, making sure your happy with your sub(45 day trial) helping you tune it to your needs, look no further...SVS is by far and away the sleeper in the Sub category...You can't go wrong here...I'd get the SVS in a heartbeat!! I have the 2039pci, and couldn't be happier...toml

12. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

13. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

14. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Keir,

Thanks for the link to the "B" stock items. Unfortunately, most - if not all of the items under this category are out of stock.

15. Norman Short

Norman Short Stunt Coordinator

Wayne, just bookmark that B-Stock page and check it regularly. Stuff comes and goes from it quickly. I got my Samson amp as a B-Stock and never noticed a single ding or other problem. But I probably checked the page 30-40 times over several days before I found one available.

Norman Short