cant decide between these 2 hdtvs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonKrol, Aug 21, 2001.

1. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

Hello all,
    This is my first post to what seems like a great forum!
    Here is my question; I am currently in the market for a new HDTV widescreen tv, from the 40" - 50" size (living room wont really allow anything bigger). The 2 tvs that really caught my eye are the following (links to bestbuy.com)
    Toshiba 40" &
    Toshiba 50"
    For some reason, the 40" originally caught my eye and I was prepared to buy it, then the other day i stumbled apon the 50" and I cant seem to find any information on it. The one that bothers me is on the stats on the bestbuy page, the horizontal res isnt stated for the 50". If anyone knows any information on these 2 sets, please try to point me in the right direction. Thanks!
    PS. Im also open to any other suggestions for sets in that price range and size. Thanks again!!
    -Jason Krol

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

3. JasonKrol

thanks, which would you suggest..obviously the bigger one (50) seems like the logical choice..but im still curious.
    thanks for the link!!
    -Jason

4. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

The 50" is this years model, the 40" is last years. Plus, bigger is always better. Best Buy had their 10% preferred customer sale last week, perhaps you can get them to match that price if you are ready to buy. Otherwise, I'm sure any competitor would find the 10% off price a reasonable haggle price.

5. JasonKrol

thanks so much! Youve been a huge help! Im going to buy the 50" version like next weekend or the following (Best Buy is usually good for their Labor Day weekend sales)
    -Jason

6. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

as pointed out above the 50" is this years model and the 40" is last years. If you can wait a little while the new 42" is coming out that will replace the 40". This new 42" should be comparable to the 50" in features and specs and will be more like comparing apples to apples.
    good luck
    ------------------
    zaphod
    end of transmission...

7. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Jason,
    I have the Toshiba 50H81 television, and I am extremely happy with it! [​IMG]
    If I may make a suggestion, however... Try to avoid buying a large-ticket item like this from Best Buy at all costs! If you need convincing, read the following thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/001404.html
    If you have a Sears in your area, they will price match the lowest price you can find (including online prices). For information on how to do this, check out the following link:
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...&f=21&t=001198
    Good luck!

8. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest you wait, It appears that you are buying a 2001 4 by 3 set when a 16 by 9 in the standard which will give you the complete picture on your screen. Toshiba is bringing out a whole new line of HDTV s and there is a new 50 in 16 by 9 ,and it is advertised in sound and vision September edition. Also you can go to the Canadian web site and they have a comparison chart of the 2001 and 2002 models www.toshiba.ca
    I do not know if the American site has it. There is suppose to be a noticeable difference in the new and the old sets according to some of the members from this forum.
    If you are buying for price then go ahead and make your purchase,this is probably why the price is lower they are making way for the 2002 models which should be arriving at the dealersnow / You also may wish to check out the www.toshiba.com and see what info they have on the 2002 models ....... good shopping

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok, I'm a complete dummy with this, but football season is coming up. Will there be some great TV 'deals', or do the prices skyrocket?
    Something to consider.
    Glenn

10. JasonKrol

to JamesFT: just a FYI; but I am indeed talking about the Toshiba 50" widescreen 16:9 tv set. not a 4:3 set.
    I believe I am also talking about the exact set that you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up though!
    --------------
    Also to Andrew Grall; thanks for the info on the Best Buy nightmare. Trust me, with my luck and past experiences, I will refust to allow BB to deliver my set, I plan to goto the store and take one from stock or come back to pick it up. A) I dont trust them to move the set around without damaging it and B) i dont trust them to move the set around without damaging my house (walls etc.)
    Thanks everyone for the great help!!!
    -Jason