Can't decide between JMLab or B&W speakers.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by george_k, Dec 5, 2003.

1. george_k

george_k Agent

2. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Go and listen to both and get the ones that sound the best to you.

I use 602s for the fronts in my HT and love them, they're really great sounding speakers IMO.

3. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

Can you audition them side by side? That's the best way to determine what sounds best to you.

I personally love both. I currently have JMlab Electra speakers for my mains and centre, and B&W 600 speakers for my surrounds and rears. I've found, even in the lower end models, JMlab's are more neutral and laid back, but still very detailed, compared to similarly priced B&W's.

4. george_k

george_k Agent

Yes I do intend to demo them before buying them, I'm going to spend atleast an hour with each make and see which ones please my ears the most.

But, I would also like to know what other people think of them, what they like/dislike so that I can compare them better.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

My experiences go as follows:

B&W: I've heard them all the way up to the Nautilus 802 line and every one of them sound roughly the same only it sounds more refined as you go up. The treble doesn't change(to me) all that much. I call it Forward which in reality isn't bright or edgy but it slaps you in the face. It's not overpowering like Klipschs but its very in your face. I can see why folks like them but I don't for that reason. I can't just sit and listen for hours on them. I haven't heard them with Classe yet and I've heard that is the magic touch but I can't comment on that yet. The comman amp I've seen demo'd with them seems to be a Krell or Rotel.

JMlabs: Very neutral speaker and very revealing of your upstream electronics. If you have a weakness someplace its going to reveal it. They can be bright with the wrong componentry but with the right stuff they sound fantastic. I have only heard up the the Elektras. The last time I heard them was with Mark Levinson electronics IIRC.

This is of course all subjective. Personally it depends on what upstream electronics you plan on using would I chose.

6. george_k

george_k Agent

I'd be using a NAD receiver. The store I bought this receiver from has been selling NAD and B&W pretty much exclusively (except for the occasional quad's) since the mid-eighties.

I'm not quite sure what the difference is between forward and revealing. I have read that B&W speakers can sound bad when the listener is sitting off-axis.

I'll compare the soundstage, mids,highs and bass and see if I can figure out what the difference between forward and revealing is.

Until then I would appreciate more comments since I find them helpful [​IMG]

7. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

If this is the same store you bought your receiver and other gear at, will they let you take both pairs home and try them in your room? You will be amazed at how different they will sound vs. dealer's showroom, and this might be enough to push you towards one speaker...

8. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

You really should take a set home to try out. Most B&W dealers will let customers do in-home tryouts. Some make you purchase them, but you can return within a certain period for a full cash refund no questions asked. I have B&W speakers all over my house and now my two best friends each have B&W setups. The speakers are contagious.