What's new

Can't copy a cd - copy protected? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Graham

Stunt Coordinator
I recently installed a CD-RW and I've enjoyed burning some cd's. After copying a couple of music cd's I tried to copy a game cd but the cd drives would pop open and I would get a report that didn't say much. I'm guessing that it's some type of copy protection but I'm surprised I didn't have the same issues with music cd's. Now I'm not looking for ways to break the copy protection (if that's what it is) just a discussion in why the difference in the two types of cd's.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Game cds often have bad blocks of data written on them that will error CDR software. Audio CDs generally aren't copy protected at all.

What software are you using?

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
You need a good CD-ROM that can rip the lastest copy protection schemes (Lite-On 16/48 DVD-ROM is one of them). And you need to use software like CloneCD.

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Hi Kevin,
You didn't mention if you were putting an "image" on your hard drive before burning to your CD-R? It's slower, but usually works better -if you're running into copy-protections.
Check out this site: Link Removed
They have good info on what types of protection each game has and work-arounds, and lots of tips.
I went through the same thing trying to back up my PC Games/Playstation games last year (my son was 5-6 years old at the time, and this way he could load the discs when he wanted and if he messed one up...I still had the original)
Some other tips I've used:
1) Burn directly from the CD-Burner to your HD as an image, then pop out the original, put in a CD-R and burn the temp image back. Some Playstation sites swear that a DVD-player or regular CD-ROM can't read all the files a CD-Burner can.
2) Burn at the slowest speed (2x, or 4x)
3) Don't have other apps going in the background, when you burn, JUST BURN.
4) Try a variety of programs: Discjuggler, CDClone, CDRWin, NTI (CD-Maker 2000) Some can copy different games than others.
...After all that, if the game does copy correctly and even installs on your machine -but won't play because it doesn' like the Burned Copy go here: NO CD Patch Site
~~OR~~
This one: GAME COPY
They worked for my kid's Medal Of Honor, Midtown Madness 2, NHL2002 etc.
Good luck and post back if you're still having trouble.
~Rob
p.s. I haven't tried to copy that NEWEST copy protecton that "The Fast & The Furious" Audio CD has...anyone had any luck?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
p.s. I haven't tried to copy that NEWEST copy protecton that "The Fast & The Furious" Audio CD has...anyone had any luck?
I've done it, but to avoid running afoul of forum rules please email me if you want details. Let's just say that the protection they used was pretty weak. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks