What's new

Can't Buy Me Love??? (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Suffice it to say that my feelings about Disney match Kevin Smith's following the cancellation of the Clerks cartoon :angry:
NO OAR = NO $ALE

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I have two questions about this title:

1) Has there ever been a widescreen version released on home video? Any format, any country?

2) Is there a widescreen DVD available in other regions?

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
I am really, really disappointed by this. One of my favourite movies of the 80's.

I guess it really makes it easy for me then - couldn't decide what to pick up this week.

Will now be buying Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful (another of my 80's favourites).

Better check that they are OAR before I order.

Don

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to think that some of them will be returned by people who thought they were OAR.

Don

Todd_B

Second Unit
I'll chime in saying I was as far as the checkout line with this title. I was glancing over the back of my purchases and noticed the nice little grey box w/the words
Fullscreen (1.33:1)
I then made a beeline back to the shelves w/Disney's lost sale.
:angry:
Todd B

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Going to skip this one too, although I would have bought it had it been OAR. Enjoyed Amanda Peterson...uh, I mean, the movie, a lot when I was younger. ;)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
For $11.99 I couldn't pass it up, widescreen or not.

I'm usually pretty fanatical about OAR, but every now and then I'll let one slide, and this one's just funny enough to do that.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Making a statement like that here is like walking into a church and telling everyone you just sold your soul to to the devil!
I liken it to preferring Coke and being served Diet Coke. Not what I want, but not the end of the world.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I also broke down & bought it. If it were pan & scan I would have avoided it like the plague, but I can deal with open matte.

I just got done watching it and it looked pretty good cropped for widescreen on my widescreen set. I did a comparison to the full frame and there definitely is extra picture on the top & bottom. And there was definitely no panning & scanning as I can notice that right away (it gives me a headache and really is noticeable to me.)

So sure, I would have loved to have an anamorphic DVD of this movie, but for $11.99 I can live with the "make my own widescreen" version. It looks better than my laserdisc and there's no flipping.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
You guys are killing me. I love this movie and am dying to buy it. Especially since it's a steal at $11.99. But if we give in the studio will win. They'll think "See, they'll buy it even if its not OAR, if its a movie they really like."

NO OAR = NO SALE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks