Can't burn in iTunes - help!

Discussion in 'Music' started by MickeS, Nov 20, 2003.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I am trying to burn a CD in iTunes, that I purchased from iTMS.

I have tried 5 times now, and I keep getting an error. The slower I burn, the earlier the error comes (when I burn at max speed (52x), it comes at the very last song, when I burn at 16x it comes in the beginning of the album).

I have tried burning on other discs from the same spindle using Nero, and everything works fine there.

This is really bumming me out, and I can't find any help anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do?

2. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

what is the error saying?

3. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I bought a pack of HP CD-RWs recently to use on my Yamaha 20-10-40 burner. It kept failing on every disk (25 pack) no matter what speed, gave up after disk #10 failed. Returned them all and bought Memorex CD-RWs, worked great absolutely no problems. I guess you can only use HP CD-RWs on HP burners, but they don't say that on the package.

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Shane, just that there was an error burning, and that I should try a lower speed... not really specific. I've tried lower speeds, but it doesn't help.

Anthony, were you trying to burn with iTunes when that happened?

I just don't understand why iTunes would fail burning when Nero can burn. I didn't think the software made that much of a difference.

Of course, considering it's an Apple program ported to Windows, maybe problems like this are to be expected...

5. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Patrick, I looked at those already, but thank you anyway. I think advice #1 might be the best in this case, sadly... [​IMG]

I haven't burned the playlist more than 10 times so I know that is not the problem (and it's an actual burning error, not a message saying I'm prevented from burning), but I was wondering about that statement, because it says in the iTunes marketing material that you can burn as many CDs as you like.

Does it mean that I would have to rename the playlist, in the unlikely case I'd want to burn more than 10 copies? Or does it keep track of the song collection itself?

I got a plug-in for Nero that lets it burn MPEG-4/AAC files to an Audio CD, I'm going to try that a little later. I'm assuming it won't work though, since Apple has DRM on the songs from iTMS.

7. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Are you running iTunes on a PC or a Mac? My PC has trouble burning CD's especially if I have more than the burning program open.

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Garret, I am running it on a PC, and after reading your post, I went in and shut off all non-essential running processes. That did it! It burned just fine. Thank you!

What a hassle having to do that every time though... maybe they'll come out with an update soon that'll fix this.

9. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

MickeS - I use Roxio on both Mac and PC and they failed on both. The CD-RWs in question are all high speed 10x discs, and I even did a burn at 2x and it failed. I would have tried 1x, but whats the point? Would anyone here by a 25-pack of CDs only to have to burn them at 1X?

Anyway, I bought other discs by Sony, Memorex and TDK and they have not failed, even after repeated burnings.

10. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I believe you need to change a playlist in some way to burn it for the 11th time. Rearranging a song or adding/removing a song should do it.