Can't afford a Grayhawk - HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry Wysocki, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Terry Wysocki

Terry Wysocki Stunt Coordinator

I'm getting a Sanyo XP21N and wanted to get a Stewart Grayhawk 120" electric screen. I thought $5k was a lot for the projector but now I find out the screen is over $3k! Can anyone suggest a comparable electric gray screen that will leave me some money for DVDs?

2. Jorge Torralba

Jorge Torralba Auditioning

The Grayhwak is highly over rated ! I just purchased a Sharp 9000 and am watching it on a Vutec screen. The end result is a superior image to that on the Grayhawk. Furthermore, it is 103" diag, electric and cost 800.00

Don't bother with the Grayhawk !

JT

3. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I disagree. I think the GrayHawk does great things for fixed panel displays. That said, I would investigate VuTec's version of it called Gray Dove. It was in direct comparison to the GrayHawk at CEDIA and was received favorably....and it is much cheaper.

4. Jorge Torralba

Jorge Torralba Auditioning

I think this is a subject were everyone will have a different opinoion due to peoples personal preferences. Tha said, I think the gray screen muddies the image by intoduciong gray into the natural colors. Thus white is not really whit but gray. However, the bottom line is $800.00 vs $3000.00.

JT

5. Terry Wysocki

Terry Wysocki Stunt Coordinator

Michael Lee stated: "...I would investigate VuTec's version of it called Gray Dove. It was in direct comparison to the GrayHawk at CEDIA and was received favorably..."

What do you mean by favorably? I'm not familiar with CEDIA so is there anywhere I can see a review or comparison of the Grayhawk with others?

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Seems to me that a grey screen is a grey screen, at least when it comes to the image. Stewart may be higher quality manufacture though, but $3000 for a screen for a $5000 projector doesn't make much sense, IMHO.

But then again I have seen neither of them in person.

7. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

CEDIA is the trade organization for custom designers and installers. In addition to offering vast amounts of education AND certification of installers there is an annual show in September. Pretty much every manufacturer exhibits at CEDIA and there are many new product announcements and rollouts.

I viewed the Grayhawk and the Vutec version at CEDIA in September. They are both excellent products and although white levels are slightly reduced the tradeoff for better contrast ratio and perceived deeper black levels are worth a very slight loss of white. The Vutec compared favorably with the Grayhawk but if you've worked with Stewart you are aware that they offer superlative customer service and support. I have yet to have a problem with any of the Stewart screens that I have installed. Regards.

8. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

I saw a grayhawk today, and it looked impressive. Good thing I didn't ask the price!!!
    I noticed a thread on another board yesterday and it provides an interesting alternative for a fixed screen.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=93780
    Just thought I would through that into the mix. . .