What's new

Can’t Access Home Page From Desktop (1 Viewer)

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
About a week or so ago I noticed that I was unable to access the home page from my iMac. I’m using Safari as my browser. All I get is a blank page. All software is current and nothing was updated recently. I cleared caches and history files. Everything else opens without any issues. Wondering if any other Safari users are having any issues.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I got that yesterday, but the first thing it did (clicking on ‘Home’) was to act as a “back” arrow, taking me to the last website I’d been on, even skipping over my previous HTF pages.

Later in the day it worked as normal.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Well, something is definitely messed up, even if it's with Safari itself. I just clicked on TOOLS (the word, not the down-arrow) and here's the resulting screen. (Note there are a few little symbols visible in white and black.)

1593102400289.png

Last edited:

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Okay, so right now -- HOME, TOOLS, and REVIEWS all stall out and eventually result in that blank screen when the word of each is clicked on. Their down-arrows work fine. Sometimes nothing appears to happen, but when I then click on something else, the blank screen is what I get.

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Charles for confirming that it not just my computer. I haven't seen any other comments so I'm guessing this is not a high priority issue. I did figure out that if I click on one of the small white icons at the top of the blank page, I can get it to go to a regular page. I can then navigate to where I need to go. I'll go with that for now.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Guys,
I've made a change - please let me know if it's any better after clearing your cache

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys,
I've made a change - please let me know if it's any better after clearing your cache
Thanks Dave for looking at this. I cleared the cache. Unfortunately no change. When I click on the HTF bookmark, I get a blank white screen. If I then hit the back button, it will momentarily bring up the main HTF page before it goes back. If I select the HTF bookmark again I get a grey screen with a couple of the white icons from the top right bar (bell, envelope). I can then click on one of them and navigate to the section of the forum I want to go to. As I noted earlier it started for me about a week or so ago.

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Does it work from any other browsers? I assume this is Safari on a Mac?
Just logged on and it is working. Closed out of Safari and logged in again. Wasn't a fluke. It is working. Been using Safari for many years and have not had any issues that I can remember. So whatever was changed, it fixed the issue and I'll take it. Thank you.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Hi Dave. I cleared the cache in Safari and restarted, and I'm afraid those things are still as reported above.

However, it's all working fine on Chrome (still on Mac), without clearing the cache or doing anything else before trying. (I just had to sign in because I rarely use Chrome and I hadn't been on since long before the change.)

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Well since I started this thread, let me finish off my involvement with it by first saying that Safari on my iMac is working JUST FINE at this point. Sorry that did not come across in my earlier comment. ;) Don't know why it is still not working for Charles and DaveF. And after reading Dave Upton's anti Apple rant above, I went out to XenForo's website to see if there were any Safari bugs listed. If you submitted it, I missed it. Also didn't see any others although it may been buried in the text as I didn't open each one. Did see some iOS bugs, but that was not my issue as the HTF works just fine on my iPhone and iPad. So I get it that you have a ton of work trying to iron out the issues with the change over to the new software. Looking at XenForo's website and all the issues/bugs listed that would seem to be the nature of the beast. Good luck with it. As for me, I'm good.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Well since I started this thread, let me finish off my involvement with it by first saying that Safari on my iMac is working JUST FINE at this point. Sorry that did not come across in my earlier comment. ;) Don't know why it is still not working for Charles and DaveF. And after reading Dave Upton's anti Apple rant above, I went out to XenForo's website to see if there were any Safari bugs listed. If you submitted it, I missed it. Also didn't see any others although it may been buried in the text as I didn't open each one. Did see some iOS bugs, but that was not my issue as the HTF works just fine on my iPhone and iPad. So I get it that you have a ton of work trying to iron out the issues with the change over to the new software. Looking at XenForo's website and all the issues/bugs listed that would seem to be the nature of the beast. Good luck with it. As for me, I'm good.
There are no bugs related to Safari in the base code - they work hard to iron that out. That said, a site like ours is heavily customized from base Xenforo code, and also leverages tools like Cloudflare for speeding up the site. We also use Wordpress for our front page, which is where you all have been having problems.

I spent a bunch of time working on it this afternoon, and think I tracked it back to Safari not liking to render the page without a specific CSS file excluded from caching. I found that if the site looks like you guys reported and you click "stop" it renders - it's just stuck in a loop.

Please try now @Charles Smith and @DaveF and let me know if it's any better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks