What's new

Canon S1 IS Digital Camera (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, I upgraded to the S2 IS. I came close to going for a digital SLR, but I cannot justify the cost, the larger size, and the need for additional lens' etc. For now at least, I like the Canon S1/S2 camera's for the long IS zoom from wide to zoom and the video mode. I would not have that on a digital SLR, and it would be bulkier. In the future, I may go with a digital SLR though. It is getting tempting with the lower noise CCDs and prices dropping.

My S1 IS is now for sale for $390 CDN. Comes with original box, manual and compact flash card, av and usb cable and additional 512 MB Sandisk Ultra II high speed (60x) Compact Flash card.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thanx, I will. I didn't think of it as a Home Theatre related peice of equipment, but I guess being a digital camera with a full digital movie mode, maybe it is ;)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Anybody else out there using the S2? I used the camera in auto mode and it wasn't an overly sunny day, but the pictures I took were horribly noisey compared to what I remember the S1 doing. Also they didn't look as sharp as I figured they should look. If they are this bad without heavy user interference, I may return this and keep my S1. I understand that manual use of these P & S is the best way to acheive good results, but I find it reflects poorly on a camera when the auto mode produces poor results vs a previous model. Will manual give me better results? How do I know what ISO the camera is chosing on auto mode (P)?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Why not take sample photos from each camera in Auto mode under the same conditions and compare, and make sure it's the S2 that's the problem.

Neither the S1 or S2 is a "simple" P&S, it does require a little bit of experimenting to find the right balance or rhythm.

Are you using the green AUTO mode, or the P mode? The P mode should all you to change the ISO setting (in decent daylight, keep it around 100 or lower).

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I found a tip list and have adjusted the S2 to the suggested settings. I was just disappointed that it didn't perform well in AUTO. It was a dim day, so it is to be expected. I will take more photo's with the new settings and see how it looks.

thanx

:)

P.S. EDIT - I checked the settings of the S2 vs the S1 and the S2 was on ISO 200 and the S1 was on ISO 50! So I think that about covers why the pics were noisy. I changed the S2 to ISO 50 and will go out taking pics to see how it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks