What's new

Canon S1 IS Digital Camera 10X optical with IS! (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm upgrading to a Digital Rebel so I'm selling my Canon S1 IS. I'm sure anyone looking at this knows all about the S1 given how popular its been for Canon. For those less familar with it the S1 combines a 3-megapixel imager and a 10x image-stabilized optical zoom lens which means you get a ultra long zoom but don't have to worry about blurry images. The S1 can also shoot DVD quality movies as an added bonus. I have the original box, manual, CF card (32 Meg) as well as the lensmate lens adapter and lens cover. The camera's in very good condition and has less the 2000 photos taken on it since I got it last spring.
Here's the info for the lens adapter. As you can see this is a MUCH higher quality adapter then the cheap plastic one from Canon and it really helps to finish off the look of the S1.

Here's what Steve's Digicam has to say about the S1 review

The PowerShot S1 IS combines a a 3.2 megapixel CCD imaging sensor, exclusive DIGIC image processor and a fast f/2.8-3.1 image stabilized 10x zoom lens (38-380mm equivalent) into a very compact and lightweight SLR-styled camera.

Renowned for the high quality of its “glass,” Canon designed the PowerShot S1 IS digital camera’s lens with 11 elements including one aspherical element to reduce size and weight and ensure image sharpness, particularly at wide-angle settings. Thanks to Canon’s optical Image Stabilization technology your images will be tack sharp even when shooting at long focal lengths. It also allows you to shoot at shutter speeds two stops lower than would otherwise be possible.

The PowerShot S1 IS offers the flexibility of a full array of exposure control settings including Auto, Program AE, Shutter-priority, Aperture-priority, Manual Mode and pre-programmed Portrait, Landscape, Night scene, Fast shutter, Slow shutter and Stitch assist modes. In Movie mode you can record 640x480 VGA resolution full motion video with audio at 30 frames/sec or 15 frames/sec and capture up to 1GB of action.

The PowerShot S1 IS also features high-speed and variable speed, virtually silent zooming thanks to its Canon Ultrasonic Motor (USM), a feature it shares with the new, top-of-the-line PowerShot Pro1 digital camera. The silence of the USM is particularly beneficial in the S1’s movie mode to preserve and enhance the quality of the audio recording.

With the use of Canon’s new optional Conversion Lens Adapter, the PowerShot S1 IS accepts an optional Tele-Converter that increases the optical range of the lens to a maximum equivalent of 608mm and an optional Wide Converter that yields a 24.5mm equivalent at the widest zoom setting. There is also an optional underwater housing rated for use at depths as low as 130 feet.

Canon S1 Features...
  • 3-Megapixel CCD for images up to 2048 x 1536
  • Canon 10x optical zoom with Image Stabilization
  • Close focus to 3.9 inches
  • Articulated 1.5-inch color LCD flips forward and rotates 270°
  • Program AE, Shutter-priority, Aperture-priority, full Manual
  • Image zone modes: Portrait, Landscape, Night scene and Stitch assist
  • Interval shooting and Exposure and Focus Bracketing
  • Movie mode w/sound, 640x480Fine, 640x480 or 320x240, 30fps or 15fps
  • Shutter speeds from 15 secs to 1/2000 sec in Manual mode.
  • Evaluative, Center-weighted average or Spot (Center or AF-point)
  • High-speed 1.7 frames per second continuous shooting
  • Up to 60-second sound memos for still images
  • Sharpness, Contrast and Saturation is adjustable
  • ISO sensitivity: 50, 100, 200, 400 or AUTO
  • Built-in flash with Auto, Fill, Red-eye reduction and Slow-sync modes
  • CompactFlash Type II slot, Microdrive compatible 32-bit FAT support