What's new

Canon Rebel XP successor? (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Is Canon planning a new version of its Rebel XT SLR? Our beloved one is in need of replacement after an unscheduled round trip to the bottom of a mountain river.

I saw that Nikon is about to release a new SLR (the D70?) so I was wondering if Canon had anything in the works.

Thanks!
Ted

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm not sure, but I'd think there's good probability that Canon will come out w/ a new version of the digital Rebel by Photokina next month judging from their trend of running ~18-month product cycles for their prosumer DSLRs.

FYI, the newly announced Nikon is D80 (to replace the D70/D70s it seems).

_Man_

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
looks like the Canon XTi will be coming out shortly for the XT replacement. 10mp sensor. Not sure of exact release date and some people still arent sure if this XTi leaked on the internet is an actual product or a photoshop job.

But it seems the D80 is getting good reviews...

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
It was inevitable that the new Canon would hit the 10mp mark. Only problem is, it will effectively be a higher spec (at least in the pixels dept) than the more expensive and only-recently-released 30D. I guess they'll be another Canon-Nikon leapfrop in the near future to bring the semi-pro model upto or beyond the level of the D200.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The upgrades over the existing Rebel XT appear to be:

1. 10mp sensor (XT was 8mp)
2. 9-point auto-focus system (XT was 7 point)
3. Sensor anti-dust features (not on XT)
4. 2.5-inch LCD (XT was 1.8-inch)

The 10mp upgrade is not a big deal, IMO, but I would love to have the other three features on my Rebel XT.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Funny that the news came out almost immediately after my last post. :D

Anyway, judging from past history (of the last several years), you will likely be able to get your hands on a Rebel XTi (also dubbed 400D) sooner than a Nikon D80.

Right now, since I could probably use the cash to help fund the family's new venture into studying the violin (me included), I'm really tempted to sell my D200 (w/ CC EW) while it still holds good value and trade down to the D80 since it's so similar to the D200 and offers most of what I want -- still, I'd probably miss the great feeling of handling the D200. :D

BTW, anyone here looking to get the new Fuji F20 (or the F30) as a pocketable snapshot cam to go w/ his/her DSLR rig? I think I'm sold on the F20 now, supposedly for the wife to use now that we have 2.5 kids. ;) :D Great (near DSLR) low light, high ISO performance that seems to also help w/ the occasional quick video grab shot too. I used to think I'd never really care about shooting video w/ a digicam (and its inferior video quality/capabilities), but honestly, it seems like that's all we really need most of the time, especially in such a easily portable, all-in-one package. :D I never really get around to editing video footages shot on a camcorder to create a good, watchable program anyway even after spending good $$$ on editing hardware and software...
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

_Man_

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news -- I wonder if the body shape/feel will stay the same -- we loved the relatively small body of the XT.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Doesn't look like the XTi have built-in stabilization. That would kill the market for a lot of high-margin Canon lenses.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

There is a lot of debate regarding how effective in-body image stabilization is versus lens IS. I doubt you'll see either Canon or Nikon jump into the body-IS market for their dSLR's anytime soon.

DaveMcS

Second Unit
When you guys are looking to upgrade..please consider selling your Rebel XP's here first..I know I'd like to buy a gently used one from someone upgrading rather than buying a new one!

Terri Chu

Grip
Real Name
Terri Chu

I've actually tried the effectiveness of the in-body shake reduction vs in-lens shake reduction.

From 18-125, there's hardly any difference for everyday use. Beyond 125 you can already see the advantage of in-lens shake reduction. Beyond 200 you can CLEARLY see the advantage of in-lens shake reduction (at least 1-stop advantage at 200mm, around 1.5 to 2 stop advantage at 300mm).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
LOOK OUT!!!

Here comes Pentax!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...dpreviewed.asp

If you're not tied to any brand's lens system, you should probably give the K10D some serious considerations. WOW! Hard to believe.

BTW, Pentax's version of anti-shake seems to boast better performance than other predecessors, so maybe it'll come much closer to in-lens IS though I'm still not too crazy about the idea of adding such mechanical complexity to the sensor (at least not until it's proven to be extremely reliable w/ negligible added risk of problems).

Anyway, where's Aaron on this news? He's been holding out on us w/ this recent announcement. :D

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks