Canon introduces the EOS 5D

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Scott Kimball, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

12.8 MP DSLR with a full frame sensor, at a price almost within reach of a working person's grasp... $3299 MSRP.

I love my 10D, and can live with its 6.3MP - but I'd love that full frame sensor. The APS sized sensor in most DSLRs is a real limitation in landscape photography. Even my 17-40MM isn't a wide enough lens with the 1.6 crop...

I wish I had money. [​IMG]

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...canoneos5d.asp

-Scott

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Hi, Scott.

Don't be too quick to envy the FF-ers as there are problems w/ using your existing wideangle lenses on a FF DSLR. From what I hear, vignetting and soft corners are worse on FF digital than FF film. And plenty of 1DsMk2 owners end up buying expensive Zeiss lenses or going w/ old Nikkor primes and use adapters w/ them. Few seem satisfied w/ a 17-40L on those FF bodies.

_Man_

3. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

What would be responsible for that? The design of the FF digital sensor?

4. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I'm a little puzzled by that, myself... but I have heard it before.

Any error in flatness / smoothness is more likely to creep in on a larger sensor, which could explain softness but not vignetting. The explanation has to be in the sensor or its positioning - there's nothing else of significance that is different in the light path between film and digital SLRs.

Perhaps there's been a redesign of the sensors for the 5D and the new 1dMark II N. I guess we'll have to wait till production models have been reviewed.

Another real possibility is that the users of previous full frame sensor cameras, due to the prohibitive price, were:
    A: More Demanding than the general hobbyist who uses an APS sized sensor
    B: Made Larger Prints
    C: Both A and B

At any rate - I still think a full frame sensor has more advantages than disadvantages.