What's new

Canon introduces the EOS 5D (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
12.8 MP DSLR with a full frame sensor, at a price almost within reach of a working person's grasp... $3299 MSRP.

I love my 10D, and can live with its 6.3MP - but I'd love that full frame sensor. The APS sized sensor in most DSLRs is a real limitation in landscape photography. Even my 17-40MM isn't a wide enough lens with the 1.6 crop...

I wish I had money. :frowning:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...canoneos5d.asp

-Scott

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hi, Scott.

Don't be too quick to envy the FF-ers as there are problems w/ using your existing wideangle lenses on a FF DSLR. From what I hear, vignetting and soft corners are worse on FF digital than FF film. And plenty of 1DsMk2 owners end up buying expensive Zeiss lenses or going w/ old Nikkor primes and use adapters w/ them. Few seem satisfied w/ a 17-40L on those FF bodies.

_Man_

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I'm a little puzzled by that, myself... but I have heard it before.

Any error in flatness / smoothness is more likely to creep in on a larger sensor, which could explain softness but not vignetting. The explanation has to be in the sensor or its positioning - there's nothing else of significance that is different in the light path between film and digital SLRs.

Perhaps there's been a redesign of the sensors for the 5D and the new 1dMark II N. I guess we'll have to wait till production models have been reviewed.

Another real possibility is that the users of previous full frame sensor cameras, due to the prohibitive price, were:
A: More Demanding than the general hobbyist who uses an APS sized sensor
B: Made Larger Prints
C: Both A and B

At any rate - I still think a full frame sensor has more advantages than disadvantages.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks