1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Canon EOS-M5 leaks

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Sam Posten, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Well, I didn't get a chance to use the M5 on a moving subject. Lots of static subjects. Considering I was shooting in cemeteries for the most part, that's probably a good thing. :D

Overall, I enjoyed using the M5, but it doesn't make me want to run out and buy one for myself any time soon (one of the benefits of renting, it alleviates the GAS).

The thing I didn't really like was the delay when the viewfinder turns on / switches from the rear display, but I learned quickly I can use my thumb to cover the sensor that triggers the viewfinder before I bring it to my eye, to have it engaged by the time I have the camera in position. I'll post some photos when I have processed them.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

How was the viewfinder blackout delay after pressing the shutter, Cameron? I've read that can be a little long, too.

Rental is a good idea. In my case, the price is what's keeping me from succumbing to GAS. I can't see paying over $900 for just a body for one of these as a secondary (or in my case tertiary) body. My original M1 has its limitations, but it does produce quality images if I work within its constraints.

3. DavidMiller

DavidMiller Screenwriter
    Supporter

David Miller
    Well I got the M6 yesterday. Pretty nice haven't had much time to spend with it. Going to go out and do some shooting this weekend. Very compact design but still feels good in the hand. Does look funny with the Sigma 120-400 on it. Auto focus works well It is nice and compact so I see myself having it with me all the time. Thanks for the suggestion on the pancake lens I'll probably pick one up at some point. Camera_big.jpg camera_medium.JPG camera_small.jpg

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  4. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I didn't notice any significant lag, but then I wasn't doing much multi-frame shooting either. I did have it to multi at first, but found it a touch sensitive so switched back to single.

5. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Some day, I'd like to see a camera not much larger than the sensor and photographers wielding a telephoto config like an old pirate with a telescope.

[​IMG]

6. Scott Merryfield

The Canon refurbished store has the M5 on sale for $748. The M6 is not yet available as a refurbished unit. It's getting tempting.

7. Scott Merryfield

I was at Best Buy today to use a 10% coupon for a 4K disc, and decided to compare the EOS M5 & M6 bodies. Looking at the specs, I would have thought the M5 would be noticeably larger than the M6, but honestly I do not think the size difference between the two was significant enough to make a difference for my use. I do not have a need for a more portable body for the next few months now, so I am not going to let that refurb price on the M5 tempt me. If I'd had the camera last week, though, I probably would have taken more photos on our trip to Mackinac Island. The original EOS M I brought along has its limitations due to its slow auto focus and lack of viewfinder (it's tough to see the rear LCD in sunlight).

The EF-M 15-45mm lens was mounted on the M6. That looks like a nice, compact zoom lens -- it's smaller than the EF-M 18-55mm that I currently own, and the wider angle would be useful. I may try to find that lens as a refurb down the line, too, and sell the 18-55mm. I have a friend with an original M that could use the older zoom, as he only has the 22mm f/2 pancake and has expressed an interest in something with more range,

DavidJ likes this.