What's new

Canon EOS 7D (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My old black 70-300mm would get warm to the touch in prolonged sunlight, and the 70-200mm L lenses (including the f/4 versions) are bigger. How much this affects performance I cannot answer, but as I said above, the white color doesn't bother me anyway.

I did notice when we were in sunlight for long periods on a catamaran whale watching in Hawaii that my white 70-200 f/4 IS still stayed pretty cool to the touch, and we were on the boat for 2-3 hours each time.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My camera itself gets fairly hot in the sun, so I can imagine a long telephoto lens would get hotter - especially the L series that often do not extend out, so there's more surface area exposed to the sun. I think most of the parts are built and assembled to operate with some tolerance to heat, but the larger the lens (like the Ls), and the more elements they contain, the more heat may have a cumulative effect on the components.

Just my theory based on a vague (and probably faulty) memory of high-school physics and thermodynamics.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just ordered a Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 lens for the 7D. I plan on using it for indoor shots during family events, as my large 17-55mm f/2.8 lens seems to intimidate people at times. If the room is well-lit, I may be able to remove the external flash as well, which will make me even more discreet. The focal length should complement my 85mm f/1.8, too. I also have the cheap 50mm f/1.8, but have never cared for it due to it's very slowing focusing, not being really sharp at f/1.8, and the focal length being too long for group shots indoors.

This should be my last lens purchase for awhile, although I would love a 135mm f/2L for shooting ice hockey and other low-light telephoto applications. I just cannot justify the $900 price anytime soon, though.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've been lusting a bit after the 35mm F/1.4, but it costs too much for my use, even though it's very fast.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yeah, the 35mm f/1.4L is out of my budget, too, which is one reason why I "settled" for the 28mm f/1.8. The focal length (45mm equivalent field of view on a crop sensor) works well as a standard prime lens, and it doesn't break my bank account. I considered the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 at a similar price, too, but it is not full frame compatible and numerous buyers have reported auto focus issues on Canon bodies.

readandbuy

Auditioning
Real Name
readandbuy
canon EOS 7D is good camera with excellent features. Though it has some cons but its pros as usual over shadow them. overall a great buy.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Any lens will exhibit focus issues at f/1.4, because there's hardly any range of depth left, especially at closer distances (of course).

A tripod may become desirable again at such an aperture.

Cees

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Cees Alons

Any lens will exhibit focus issues at f/1.4, because there's hardly any range of depth left, especially at closer distances (of course).

A tripod may become desirable again at such an aperture.

Cees

That is true, even at somewhat smaller apertures. However, Sigma lenses are notorious for mis-focusing on Canon bodies, requiring the lens (and camera body sometimes) to be sent back to Sigma for calibration. They evidently have not been able to perfect the reverse engineering process of the Canon EOS auto focus system.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Very true. I had to send in my 18-50 Sigma twice to get the back focusing corrected. I've pretty much sworn off third party lenses if I can avoid it and I check the focusing on any lens purchase as soon as I get it.

Users who are viewing this thread