What's new

Cannot uninstall Norton Anti-Virus (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I just upgraded to WindowsXP. I then installed Norton Internet Security, which seems to work OK with the exception of the Anti-Virus part; whenever I try to open the anti-virus, the program freezes.

So, I'll just uninstall it, then re-install, right?

Wrong. I am unable to uninstall NIS. I tried through the control panel using the 'remove programs' utility, and also through the Norton disc itself. Each time, it tells me that the Norton is running and to close all NIS windows.

I went through and disabled everything I could find, but I still get a message that the program is running.

When I do alt-cont-del, it shows no applications at all open (back when I was running Windows 98, doing this would show a list of 10-15 programs running...WTF?)

This is really irritating me. Before I take a 16 lb. sledge to the PC, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
A couple of things you could try:

1. If you haven't already done so, try disabling Norton from starting when you start your computer by right clicking the icon in your taskbar and clicking Configure.

2. Run msconfig by clicking "Start-Run- then type msconfig" and under the startup tab, disable anything referring to Norton. That way when you restart, it will not automatically load.

3. If all else fails, whip out the slege hammer.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
When you hit Ctrl-Alt-Del or go into the task manager, click the Processes tab. Then you'll see EVERYTHING that is running, not just applications that have windows open. From there you should be able to kill Norton. Also, you might have to go into the Services applet in Control Panel (or Administrative Tools, I don't know where it is in XP), and shut it down from there.

BTW, what version of NIS are you running? You need the 2002 version to run it on XP.

KJP

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to everyone.

I got it uninstalled, then re-installed it, and got the same problem. However, I clicked on the anti-virus part of Norton Internet Security (2002 ver.) where it always froze on me before, and waited a bit longer. Eventually, it kicked in.

So, apparently it had not been freezing, just taking an eternity to work. Anyone have an idea why this is or how I might speed it up?

Kevin...within Task Manager: are all those items listed under PROCESSES identical to what used to come up in the Windows98 tast manager window? What do the numbers under the heading CPU refer to? (I see numbers such as 00, 03, 01, etc.).

Thanks again,

Jon

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
That's the percentage of CPU time that each process is taking. Unless you're running SETI@Home or something like that, you'll see that the "busiest" task is the System Idle Process.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Jon - yes, NAV 2002 takes a while to launch. Gotta love their new (ugly) HTML-based GUI that requires browser components to load in order to display anything. I usually just launch it directly from the Start->Programs menu rather than from the NIS screen.

The Processes tab is similar to what you see in '98, but more informative. I don't think all processes show up in the '98 one, but I'm not sure. The NT/2000/XP version shows everything running in the Processes tab, even background processes and services. The Applications tab just shows active windows.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks