1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot print from laptop since installing Windows 7 (except from one user account)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

This has me pulling my hair out, I hope someone here can assist.

Two PCs, one desktop, one laptop. Installed Windows 7 on laptop, left desktop with Vista. Since then, I can print from the laptop from within only my account; I cannot print from the wife's user account.

I've made sure the printer is shared, I have identical permissions set on both hers and my accounts. When I try to print from hers, there is no error message, it simply does not print. When I open up the printer menu, it shows all the documents in the queue, usually with no error message (although once or twice I saw an 'access denied' statement).

From within her control panel>printers, it shows the printer listed and indicates that it is 'ready'.

Because I can print with no problem, I don't think it's a driver issue or a Windows 7/Vista issue; I think it's a security/permission issue, but it seems I've exhausted all those avenues and granted every permission I could find.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jon

2. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    How is your printer connected?

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

USB to the desktop. Never had a problem printing from the laptop when it had Vista, same connection then as now.

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    You may need to delete it from her profile and reinstall it. Windows 7 may not have only correctly imported the settings for the primary account and hosed up the other. Since shared printers are more like network printers than local printers, they are profile dependent. Blowing it away and reinstalling it under her profile will probably do it. (You might end up having to delete it and manually reinstall it under both accounts, but I'd start with just hers.)

Regards,

Joe

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thanks, Joe, but it didn't work.

I uninstalled it from within her account, but when I tried to install it, I got a message saying that I could not connect with that printer.

So now, it's not even installed. (still works from my account, though)

Jon

6. KeithAP

KeithAP Screenwriter

Keith
    You could try resetting the print spooler. This link doesn't list Windows 7 compatibility but I believe it works OK for Windows 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000007

Also, what type of accounts are you and your wife's set as? If you are an admin and she is a standard account you could try making her an admin account and see if that changes anything.

Finally, you might try creating a new account and see if the printer works from within it. If it does, maybe you could import all your wife's files into the new account and just delete her old one once everything is transferred.

-Keith

7. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Nope. The wizard notes that I have Windows 7 and directs me to the troubleshooter within 7. Once there, it sees that I have no printer installed, and directs me to 'install new printer', which, of course, tells me that I cannot connect to the printer.

We're both admins. Far as I can tell, our accounts have identical settings.

I had already tried that. Same results as wife's account.

I've also uninstalled the printer on both PCs, including removing the software. I physically disconnected the printer, then shut everything down. I connected the printer, booted up the desktop, which saw it and installed it. I searched for and found specific drivers for the printer (HP Officejet 6100) and installed them. I booted up the laptop and manually installed the printer from my account. Tried to do it from wife's, but it would not connect.

Back to square one and pretty much out of ideas.