What's new

Cannot print from laptop since installing Windows 7 (except from one user account) (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
This has me pulling my hair out, I hope someone here can assist.

Two PCs, one desktop, one laptop. Installed Windows 7 on laptop, left desktop with Vista. Since then, I can print from the laptop from within only my account; I cannot print from the wife's user account.

I've made sure the printer is shared, I have identical permissions set on both hers and my accounts. When I try to print from hers, there is no error message, it simply does not print. When I open up the printer menu, it shows all the documents in the queue, usually with no error message (although once or twice I saw an 'access denied' statement).

From within her control panel>printers, it shows the printer listed and indicates that it is 'ready'.

Because I can print with no problem, I don't think it's a driver issue or a Windows 7/Vista issue; I think it's a security/permission issue, but it seems I've exhausted all those avenues and granted every permission I could find.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jon

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You may need to delete it from her profile and reinstall it. Windows 7 may not have only correctly imported the settings for the primary account and hosed up the other. Since shared printers are more like network printers than local printers, they are profile dependent. Blowing it away and reinstalling it under her profile will probably do it. (You might end up having to delete it and manually reinstall it under both accounts, but I'd start with just hers.)

Regards,

Joe

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Joe, but it didn't work.

I uninstalled it from within her account, but when I tried to install it, I got a message saying that I could not connect with that printer.

So now, it's not even installed. (still works from my account, though)

Jon

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
You could try resetting the print spooler. This link doesn't list Windows 7 compatibility but I believe it works OK for Windows 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000007

Also, what type of accounts are you and your wife's set as? If you are an admin and she is a standard account you could try making her an admin account and see if that changes anything.

Finally, you might try creating a new account and see if the printer works from within it. If it does, maybe you could import all your wife's files into the new account and just delete her old one once everything is transferred.

-Keith

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
You could try resetting the print spooler. This link doesn't list Windows 7 compatibility but I believe it works OK for Windows 7.
Nope. The wizard notes that I have Windows 7 and directs me to the troubleshooter within 7. Once there, it sees that I have no printer installed, and directs me to 'install new printer', which, of course, tells me that I cannot connect to the printer.

Also, what type of accounts are you and your wife's set as?
We're both admins. Far as I can tell, our accounts have identical settings.

Finally, you might try creating a new account and see if the printer works from within it
I had already tried that. Same results as wife's account.

I've also uninstalled the printer on both PCs, including removing the software. I physically disconnected the printer, then shut everything down. I connected the printer, booted up the desktop, which saw it and installed it. I searched for and found specific drivers for the printer (HP Officejet 6100) and installed them. I booted up the laptop and manually installed the printer from my account. Tried to do it from wife's, but it would not connect.

Back to square one and pretty much out of ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks