1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot get sound from surround speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by brian.c, Jan 5, 2004.

1. brian.c

brian.c Auditioning

Newbie here :b

I'm trying to set up a Denon avr1604 Receiver for the first time. My problem is I can only get sound in Direct and Stereo mode, and only from the two front speakers (from an analog signal)

I cannot seem to get any signal to the Surround/Sub speakers. Also, I cannot get sounds from the Test Tones either. Am I missing something in the setup/configurations? Even when I use a digital signal the receiver picks it the digital signal, but still there is no sound.

Any ideas?

2. John S

John S Producer

The test tones should certainly play....

All channel stereo too? Only the fronts???

3. brian.c

brian.c Auditioning

Yep, no sound at all when attempting the test tones and anything with digital input. (not even the fronts) [​IMG]

4. Jason_A

Jason_A Stunt Coordinator

Make sure the other speakers are installed and selected in the configuration menu. That might solve the big problem. Also check your wiring for pulled out wires.

5. John S

John S Producer

The OSD shows them connected?

You see it go from one channel/speaker to the next or does it skip the surrounds completely during the setup screens?

6. brian.c

brian.c Auditioning

Can the OSD show it being connected? When I do the automatic test tone I do see it going from speaker to speaker. I've double-checked all the wiring. Should test tones come out of the working front speakers at least?

7. John S

John S Producer

The OSD is way important on these receivers....

yes, the setup screens carry detailed video on the test tone, and show what speaker it is on graphically, but only with speakers actually connected and configured to the unit.

Just curious are they set to large or small? Are some of them mixed, like frints large, rears small? ect..ect..???

8. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

last week , when I had the same problem as a rookie, it was simply that I did not have the speakers wire making a good connection at the receiver. Can you hook the surround speakers to the L or R speaker connections to the receiver ? See if they play the L and R signals when brifly connected.

9. brian.c

brian.c Auditioning

dumb question - is OSD referring to the TV? If that's the case my receiver doesn't have that [​IMG]. So I guess I have no way of knowing if a speaker is connected properly?

The fronts and all the surrounds are all set to small.

I can try and swap the speakers around. But I'm pretty sure the wire connections are good -- at least the fronts are since I know they're working.

10. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    OSD=On Screen Display

In receiver's setup menus, the default setting for the speakers is 0db.........have you set the individual volumes up some? Although, if speakers are hooked up, you should get something. Especially the test tones!
    If the test tones don't work, I'd take the receiver back and exchange it.............something has to be wrong.

11. John S

John S Producer

The 1604 doesn't have OSD and setup screens?? I don't think that is true....

You will need to hook up a TV at least temporaily, to set it up properly. Have no doubt.

12. brian.c

brian.c Auditioning

Nope, no OSD unfortunately.

Thanks for all the help guys -- after being accused of doing the wiring all wrong and stuff from the store that I bought it from, I eventually brought it back and had them test it out. And yup, there definitely was something wrong with it (Surrounds/Digital input were not working). So I'll be getting a brand new one soon. [​IMG]