What's new

Cannot get DTS to work on my Yamaha receiver (1 Viewer)

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
Just got a new receiver with DTS and hooked it up to my Playstation 2 with an optical cable. I get all different modes and have the DTS selector set to Auto, but none of the DVD's will play in DTS. I change to DTS playback in the language choices, but nothing works. So far I have tried 3 DTS DVD's.

Any suggestions?

Leo

Second Unit
Go into the PS2 settings and ensure you have Optical Out turned to On.

Leo

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
This is a common experience. Go to the menu on the DVD disc itself and check on setup or languages. Often, you must select DTS through the disc menu to get DTS sound.

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
Leo,

I did not play with any PS2 setup since I just started using it for DVD playback, but the only audio connection to the receiver is through an optical cable and I am getting audio and even Dolby Digital; so I assumed there was nothing else in the setup to do.

Marc,

I did go into the language settings on the DVD's and pick DTS, and it even has a confirmation that you want to enable DTS. I was thinking it could be the game controller and my not pressing the right buttons, but as the movie starts playing, it shows a big DTS logo.

I guess it is time to run out and get a digital coax cable and hook up my "regular" DVD player.

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Leo and John (for confirming this). I figured there were some Ps2 people here.
Now hopefully GT3 has 5.1 :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe the "cut" scenes - the movie parts, are 5.1, but the game itself is not. Still sounds good though. :D I don't think the PS2 supports in game 5.1, but I may be wrong.

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
I checked my setup of my PS2 and optical output is already enabled. What is going on here? It is supposed to play DTS.

myke

Grip
The PS2 does not support DD5.1 for gameplay, but there are several games available that support DTS output (during gameplay, not just prerendered scenes).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, you have to turn optical on, but in a different menu, there is a place where you also must say DTS = Yes, or it will not work.

*edit - DOH, I remember - you have to put in a DVD FIRST, then go into the menu (PS2 controls once the DVD starts playing), and you should have a slighly different menu that will allow you to select DTS! Try that. If you don't have a DVD movie in there, there is no selection in the menu.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
What DVD's did you try? When you selected DTS in the main screen for the movies and you played the movie, what display did you see on the receiver? You should be able to push the input mode button one or two times to manually select DTS on the receiver...but usually this is an issue with the dvd player config settings.

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
***EDITED***

Figured it out!

John,

I must be a MORON! I went into the configuration without a DVD in and without a memory card in, and there is nothing about enabling DTS. I have put a DVD in and have not seen any menu of enabling DTS within the machine. Enabling DTS playback for the movie is easy. I have tried the Grinch, Fast and Furious and a couple of others.

Using the game controller and a DVD controller is really useless.

When I put the movie in, it asks about Parental Control, which I somehow enabled, and then I put in my code, and then the movie starts up to the first menu of choosing Language, Sceens, etc.

What is my problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks