What's new

Cannot get computer to boot up all the way. (1 Viewer)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I have a Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop running Windows ME.
  1. Originally, some hyperlinks would not work in Internet Explorer. So I did a bunch of things like run virus scans and installed some patches based upon the Microsoft sight.
  2. Problem still occurred.
  3. Ran a repair of IE 6.0.
  4. Problem still occurred.
  5. Tried to uninstall I.E..0. That is where the bigger problem now happens.
  6. Computer now locks up before Window ME fires up all the way. Get error message "Explorer has caused error in SHDOCVW.DLL" I can close that message but the computer does nothing else.
  7. Cannot boot up in Safe Mode.
  8. Can't reboot with backup discs.
  9. I have a $1000 paperweight.[/list=1]
    Can anyone help me. All my computer-savy friends are stumped.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Find another windows (ME or 98) machine and create a new boot disk. This disk's purpose is to get you to a DOS prompt and load the CD drivers.

Put disk in, and boot from floppy (you may need to go to bios to set floppy as 1st boot drive if it still tries to load from hard disk). Boot program will ask if you want to load CD drivers. Select that option.

If you find you can't boot at this point, then you have a problem with your hardware that needs to be addressed first. Perhaps a new floppy drive is in order/etc?

Once you have a DOS prompt again, insert operating system installation CD and run Setup (should be found right at the root of the drive). This will rewrite your OS (should keep your old settings) and restore the corrupted/missing files.

This *should* fix the problem.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I've already tried with an already existing boot floppy I had and nothing still happens.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I've had that happen to me with ME, and my solution was to back anything important via DOS and format and reinstall OS.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Have you tried unplugging devices and simplifying the computer for bootup. Power source not enough? My buddy can't boot his computer if he has more than one monitor plugged in.

Then you should try swapping parts if you can to isolate the problem. You should be able to boot to basic drivers with a windows floppy boot disc.

If your computer doesn't get to that stage the only time I recall having that problem was when I overclocked like a mad man (over 70% of it's original speed) and the computer wouldn't boot. The Heatsink might have come loose or something similar related.

Or if there's an error the computer might not boot to the windows logo. If you can't even make it to the bios then there's a definite problem with the connections/something broke.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Dave,
I did a search on the MS Knowledgebase and came up with this:
-------------
SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to start Windows, you may receive the following error message:
Error loading Explorer.exe.
You must reinstall Windows.
When you click OK , a black screen appears and you are unable to start Windows.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the Explorer.exe Windows system file is missing or corrupted.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, replace the Explorer.exe file with a new copy from your Windows CD-ROM (or other installation media). To do this, use one of the following methods, as appropriate to your version of Windows.
Windows Millennium Edition (Me)
Restart the computer by using a Windows Me startup disk.
For additional information about creating a Windows Me startup disk, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q271823 How to Create a Windows Me Startup Disk Manually
In the Microsoft Windows Me startup dialog box that appears, type 2 , and then press ENTER.
Record the drive letter assigned to your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
Type Ext , and then press ENTER.
The Microsoft Extract Command Line Helper starts.
At the Please enter the path to the Windows CAB files (a:): message, type drive :win9x (where drive is the drive letter that you recorded in step 3), and then press ENTER. For example, type E:win9x , and then press ENTER.
NOTE : The CAB files may also be stored in the following location:
C:WINDOWSOPTIONSINSTALL
At the Please enter the name(s) of the file(s) you want to extract: message, type Explorer.exe , and then press ENTER.
At the Please enter the path to extract to ('Enter' for current directory): message, type C:Windows , and then press ENTER.
At the Is this okay? (y/n) message, type y , and then press ENTER.
The file is extracted to the specified directory.
Remove the Windows Me startup disk, and then restart the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks