Cannot connect to xbox live

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zack_R, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

I purchased the retail starter kit and it tells me that the DNS is not resolved. "The DNS servers could not be reached. Verify the DNS Server address match the settings provided by your ISP."

I get this message whether I connect through the cable box directly or run it through the hub on the computer. My cable provider is insightbb.

Any suggestions to resolve appreciated. How would I verify the DNS server address and the settings provided by my ISP?

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

you might have to hard encode the MAC address into the Xbox. Someone else was having this issue and thats what he had to do.

3. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

Depending on ISP in many cases a router is best, SMC NetGear and Dlink have problems with Xbox there are work arounds posted and some routers just wont work, the linksys Cable/DSL router works great also the Microsoft routers work well, do you know how to release or renew your IP, I dont know how much you know if you can tell me I can walk you through the whole thing.

4. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

I'mot sure how to release or renew my IP. I'm not even sure where to go to find out that info. From reading other threads it seems like the router will be my best bet for least complicated gaming and internet setup.

5. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

6. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

7. Tom_J

Tom_J Agent

Zack_R, if you are using Win2k, open up a command prompt (Start->Run->cmd) then type in "ipconfig /all" (no quotation marks, of course). This will give you all the info your looking for, DNS, IP, etc.

To release, renew, just type in "ipcofig /release" "ipconfig/renew" respectively. If in doubt, type in "ipconfig /?" for all the optional switches.

Hope this helps.

With that said, I have a Netgear RT314, and looking at xbox.com's workaround, they're simply giving the Xbox a static IP addy, then pointing the Xbox at the router. Sounds simple enough.

8. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom,

I have windows 98 and when I type those commands, they seem to work but the info. flashes on the screen so fast I don't have a chance to read it. Is there anyway to make the information screen stay up so I can read it? I'm not sure why it will not stay up. It looks like a dos screen that opens for less than a second and then disappears.

9. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Zack,
    In Win 98, try typing winipcfg.

It has buttons on it for release and renew.

10. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Maybe I'm wrong, but won't those procedures simply release/renew the IP addressing on the PC you're executing the command on? I don't think it'll do a thing for the Xbox connected to the router...

I would think you'd have to log into the router, execute a release/renew from the router level, and then re-detect the settings on the Xbox...

11. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit