What's new

Cannon (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have S1-S3 of Cannon and the quality of the images is poor at times. I get the feeling no remastering was not done for Cannon.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
You would be correct. This would have been a must buy for me if done correctly but after I sampled some of the S1 discs I passed. The lack of remastering coupled with a pricing & split season approach similar to that of a remastered season is partially why I think this series underperformed for CBS/P.

Then again, Barnaby Jones looked superb and apparently didn't do well either. It's a shame because both series were entertaining and featured very likeable lead actors.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
CBS gave Cannon no respect whatsoever. But it's one of my all-time favorite shows so I'll take what I can get. With season 3 going MOD I had hopes that the final two seasons would be released soon, re-mastered or not. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed....

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Everybody knew the studio fancied those split-season sets, I'm not so sure that explains why a series sells or not if people really wanted a show they'd get it no matter what. It was this or nothing, and The Streets of San Francisco did pretty well that way. S3 of Cannon wasn't split of course but the quality still sucked, even so, I'd like them to continue with it and at least down the MOD road if not standard release anymore. So many stalled series need to continue, remastered or not, like Barnaby Jones or One Step Beyond and MOD ought to be a cheaper way for them meaning some lower sales wouldn't make a huge difference.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I just finished up Season 3 and wasn't too disappointed with the picture quality. I'd be all in for the rest of the series. William Conrad was always great in the role.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
GMBurns said:
CBS gave Cannon nothing no respect whatsoever. But it's one of my all-time favorite shows so I'll take what I can get. With season 3 going MOD I had hopes that the final two seasons would be released soon, re-mastered or not. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed....
FTFY.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I have been watching them and it looks good to me. I haven't been able to notice and poor quality. Due to the modern quality of tv equipment I guess we are viewing shows in much better quality the viewers originally watched.

Cannon is a really good detective show. With all these shows you have suspend some reality. For instance, the police love Cannon, like Mannix, and can't do enough for them. Cannon has the police reporting to him about the progress of their investigations. But William Conrad has a very charming way about him. He is very much a gentleman and very kind. Kind of the opposite of say Rockford. Interesting similarities and differences in these detective/police shows.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Frank Cannon's ties to being a former cop help him interact with police. Rockford was ex con that was pardon that had good relations with Dennis Becker!! However, the police lieutenants always hated Rockford and threaten to yank his ticket.

I am not complaining that much about the quality as it is decent, especially for the age of the shows. I was too young to remember the show as i was 3 years old when the show came out.

Many of the old shows i have in my collection are shows i never seen as kid or if i did then i was too young to remember them.

dhammer said:
I have been watching them and it looks good to me. I haven't been able to notice and poor quality. Due to the modern quality of tv equipment I guess we are viewing shows in much better quality the viewers originally watched.

Cannon is a really good detective show. With all these shows you have suspend some reality. For instance, the police love Cannon, like Mannix, and can't do enough for them. Cannon has the police reporting to him about the progress of their investigations. But William Conrad has a very charming way about him. He is very much a gentleman and very kind. Kind of the opposite of say Rockford. Interesting similarities and differences in these detective/police shows.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have found S3 very good!! There are some really good episodes, especially the perfect alibi. There are few very funny scenes, especially when Cannon interacts with the local sherrif and gets parking tickets!!

Frank Cannon's character is keeps growing on me and i just hope we do not have to wait to long for S4/S5 to come out!!

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
dhammer said:
But William Conrad has a very charming way about him. He is very much a gentleman and very kind.
It will always be the way William Conrad played the role that made Cannon so much fun. The plots were similar to all the shows of that era, and they were often the same actors you'd see in Mannix, Barnaby Jones, etc. But Cannon's wry wit and self-deprecating humor were the best. Not that I haven't loved watching Mannix again. And I'd also love to see more seasons of Barnaby released. But I'm really jonesing for the last two seasons of Cannon.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have watched many episodes of S3 and they are quite good, especially how Cannon uses is warp sense of humor was timed in the plot lines.

The supporting actors were also good! I like seeing the young and upcoming actors/actress like Lee Purcel or Russell Johnson or Dabney Coleman or Peter Strauss or Pernell Roberts. etc.

I am very glad for dvds as i get to see some amazing actors/actresses that would knock the socks out of most the actors/actresses that are currently on tv or in the movies!!

GMBurns said:
It will always be the way William Conrad played the role that made Cannon so much fun. The plots were similar to all the shows of that era, and they were often the same actors you'd see in Mannix, Barnaby Jones, etc. But Cannon's wry wit and self-deprecating humor were the best. Not that I haven't loved watching Mannix again. And I'd also love to see more seasons of Barnaby released. But I'm really jonesing for the last two seasons of Cannon.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
FYI: Cannon Season Three is currently just $22.99 at Amazon...not bad for a six disc set, even if it is MOD and un-remastered. First two-parter episode features Special Guest Star David Janssen, Fuge fans!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
David Janssen episode was great! I still would like to get Harry O when the price comes down!!
Guy Foulard said:
FYI: Cannon Season Three is currently just $22.99 at Amazon...not bad for a six disc set, even if it is MOD and un-remastered. First two-parter episode features Special Guest Star David Janssen, Fuge fans!

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I like "Cannon" but I can´t really enjoy it that much on DVD because CBS/Paramount released Season 1-3 in a lousy picture quality.

To this day I don´t understand why all this great CBS/Paramount series like "Mannix", Hawaii Five 0", Streets of San Francisco etc. were all remastered in HD and "Cannon" not.....

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
That is indeed a mystery yes, it's like it was kept in a vault of water or something compared to other shows or left out in the sun, tearing (and smearing) out the colors and details. I bet their others shows wouldn't look this dark and bad if not remastered, for some reason Cannon is a special case making it somewhat surprising it was released at all in this state. Has the feel and look of a public domain cheapie or worse (the no-no source). It's a great show, I'm glad they did release it (and patiently wait for more) but I don't recall it looking this worn when I saw it back in the 70s where I caught it on German TV and there's no way they'd shown it like this.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Guy Foulard said:
The episode with David Janssen is very good! I have S1-S3 on dvd as such I watch it from time to time. The past few nights I have been watching episodes from different series that had a October 31st date as way to play homage to Halloween. I watched an episode with Stefanie Powers as the guest star!! Stefanie was knockout gal of the 1960s/1970s/1980s!!

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Mr. Handley said:
I just finished up Season 3 and wasn't too disappointed with the picture quality. I'd be all in for the rest of the series. William Conrad was always great in the role.
I also thought it looked fine. I am glad I don't see the poor quality that seems to bother others.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I watched an episode with Stefanie Powers as the guest star!! Stefanie was knockout gal of the 1960s/1970s/1980s!!
And even beyond that! I saw her on-stage in a production of King and I in 2005 and she looked two decades younger than her actual age.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks