Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
According to the people checking their sets on the Barnaby Jones thread, it seems quite a few of the episodes are syndication edits, running at 46 minutes.

Oh well.

Looks like VEI are no longer the "saviors" of classic TV, just another bunch of hacks crapping out substandard sets.

Reactions: bmasters9

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
The Obsolete Man said:
Looks like VEI are no longer the "saviors" of classic TV, just another bunch of hacks crapping out substandard sets.
My take is that it was either this or nothing at all. VEI has certain constraints they have to work within. I can understanding some may be frustrated and feel it isn't worth a purchase, but that doesn't mean they deserve to be called "hacks" or that they are "crapping out substandard sets". Why don't you explain to us what they could have done better within the constraints of the licensing agreement, the product they were provided, and the projected revenue expected from sales?

LeoA

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Until people start watching them, 46 minutes doesn't mean that it's cut. It just means that the episodes in question are running 46 minutes. The reason for why that is requires a deeper look than just looking at run-times.

Hopefully this is largely a case of time-sped transfers being used rather than episodes that have had cuts made to their content, since that's more acceptable to most of us.

Either way, nobody expected them to fund any remastering. If many of these transfers are indeed cut, it seems likely that's all that CBS was able to provide.

Reactions: Flashgear

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
smithbrad said:
My take is that it was either this or nothing at all. VEI has certain constraints they have to work within. I can understanding some may be frustrated and feel it isn't worth a purchase, but that doesn't mean they deserve to be called "hacks" or that they are "crapping out substandard sets". Why don't you explain to us what they could have done better within the constraints of the licensing agreement, the product they were provided, and the projected revenue expected from sales?
Just looking back over the last few pages of the thread, we've seen reports of Hotel with horrible video quality, a Cannon disc error, and now edited Barnaby Jones.

It looks like "nothing at all" would have been the better option.

Reactions: Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
The Obsolete Man said:
Just looking back over the last few pages of the thread, we've seen reports of Hotel with horrible video quality, a Cannon disc error, and now edited Barnaby Jones.

Agreed…they are all horrible releases with Hotel being the worse. I didn't pick up Cannon because of how bad the video quality on that release was too but I am a big fan of Hotel and hoped for the best and got a clunker of a release…a true lemon.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
The Obsolete Man said:

So that is your answer to my question, you would not have done this release? Well luckily for some of us VEI made the choice and not you. Let's see, VEI used what was provided to them by CBS, has replaced disk errors when identified, and packaged the product as most seem to prefer (i.e., standard cases in a solid box). So far the biggest fault appears to be CBS.

JayHink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
smithbrad said:
So that is your answer to my question, you would not have done this release? Well luckily for some of us VEI made the choice and not you. Let's see, VEI used what was provided to them by CBS, has replaced disk errors when identified, and packaged the product as most seem to prefer (i.e., standard cases in a solid box). So far the biggest fault appears to be CBS.
Yes, I'm happy VEI cares to put these out. CBS is the only one that can provide proper elements, and they don't see it as a priority.

Barnaby and Hotel are never going to sell as well as, say, Magnum P.I.

I'll always wish the releases were better (& the world peaceful) but I'll take what I can get. I support VEI'S releases.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
Blurayfan said:
Agreed…they are all horrible releases with Hotel being the worse. I didn't pick up Cannon because of how bad the video quality on that release was too but I am a big fan of Hotel and hoped for the best and got a clunker of a release…a true lemon.
Ahhh...because you didn't like the Hotel release, Cannon and Barnaby Jones are also horrible releases, even though you didn't even buy them. With all the slow down with older releases one would think people would appreciate that anything is still coming out. But no, it all complaints these days, the video is poor, the episodes cut, not enough extras, the packaging stinks, the price is to high. I have to say there is too much negativity here for me, time to just go enjoy what I've been fortunate enough to get and stop reading about all the complaints because we can no longer have perfection with what little still remains an option. It's a wonder why they should even try.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm sure VEI knows their market well enough, that they know all the risks and backlash in releasing their titles.

The negative comments made by us and others on this message board and in the 1-star amazon reviews, probably doesn't affect them at all.

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
smithbrad said:
Ahhh...because you didn't like the Hotel release, Cannon and Barnaby Jones are also horrible releases, even though you didn't even buy them. With all the slow down with older releases one would think people would appreciate that anything is still coming out. But no, it all complaints these days, the video is poor, the episodes cut, not enough extras, the packaging stinks, the price is to high. I have to say there is too much negativity here for me, time to just go enjoy what I've been fortunate enough to get and stop reading about all the complaints because we can no longer have perfection with what little still remains an option. It's a wonder why they should even try.
If the video is poor, the episodes are cut, and the packaging sucks, it's obvious they didn't try.

And in the case of poor video and cut episodes, it's not like those are just nitpicking little complaints like using a season 4 cast picture on the season 2 case. If the best they could get is something that could (and very well may) have been recorded off of a UHF station in 1982, maybe the episodes aren't of a good enough quality to be released.

And, if this truly was the best that could be done, they could have at least warned the consumer ahead of time instead of having everyone find out when their $150 set arrives and they pop a disc in only to find 4 minutes of footage missing from episode after episode.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
The Obsolete Man said:
If the video is poor, the episodes are cut, and the packaging sucks, it's obvious they didn't try.

And in the case of poor video and cut episodes, it's not like those are just nitpicking little complaints like using a season 4 cast picture on the season 2 case. If the best they could get is something that could (and very well may) have been recorded off of a UHF station in 1982, maybe the episodes aren't of a good enough quality to be released.

And, if this truly was the best that could be done, they could have at least warned the consumer ahead of time instead of having everyone find out when their $150 set arrives and they pop a disc in only to find 4 minutes of footage missing from episode after episode.
Well everyone is entitled to their opinion! I think CBS derserves all the blame. CBS is the company that owns Cannon, Barnaby Jones, and the other shows mentioned. It is the fault of CBS for what they have done to Cannon, Barnaby Jones, and the other shows. CBS could have released Cannon and Barnaby Jones with the same great looking picture quality as Star Trek, The Wild Wild West, Lucy. etc. CBS chose not to do so, and why it is their right to not release them it is our right to blame them and criticize them for being such a lousy greedy company if we want to. I thank VEI for releasing them because what VEI has done is given us fans the best looking Cannon and Barnaby Jones episodes we probably will ever see! If you want to see these 2 great shows in the best picture quality then the VEI releases are the best you will have! I say Cannon and Barnaby Jones are too good not to watch! Also, just as we all are spoiled in so many ways, examples having plenty of food when others don"t., air conditioning when many don't have it, etc we have also become spoiled by high definition TV and High defintion transfers. I admit that I sometimes will go ahead and watch Cannon first when I watch several shows at night because it will be more of a letdown to watch Cannon after having watched a great looking transfer of say Mannix, Hawaii Five-O etc, Also, I so wish Cannon had the same high quality transfers as the other CBS shows. However, even as poor looking compare to the others as Cannon is, it still is better than what people saw when the show originally ran and better than what we watched in syndication. We have all become spoiled! Also, I would recommend that any show from the 1950's through the 1980's should be watched in 4:3 not in widescreen! Cannon should be watched in 4:3, not in widescreen! There should be black vertical bars on the left and right side of the screen. This will make the picture quality better than stretching it to widescreen! In Summary, CBS deserves all blame and I thank VEI for releasing Cannon and Barnaby Jones!

Take Care!

Robert

Reactions: TVonDVDJunkie05

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
MCCLOUD said:
Well everyone is entitled to their opinion! I think CBS derserves all the blame. CBS is the company that owns Cannon, Barnaby Jones, and the other shows mentioned. It is the fault of CBS for what they have done to Cannon, Barnaby Jones, and the other shows. CBS could have released Cannon and Barnaby Jones with the same great looking picture quality as Star Trek, The Wild Wild West, Lucy. etc. CBS chose not to do so, and why it is their right to not release them it is our right to blame them and criticize them for being such a lousy greedy company if we want to. I thank VEI for releasing them because what VEI has done is given us fans the best looking Cannon and Barnaby Jones episodes we probably will ever see! If you want to see these 2 great shows in the best picture quality then the VEI releases are the best you will have! I say Cannon and Barnaby Jones are too good not to watch! Also, just as we all are spoiled in so many ways, examples having plenty of food when others don"t., air conditioning when many don't have it, etc we have also become spoiled by high definition TV and High defintion transfers. I admit that I sometimes will go ahead and watch Cannon first when I watch several shows at night because it will be more of a letdown to watch Cannon after having watched a great looking transfer of say Mannix, Hawaii Five-O etc, Also, I so wish Cannon had the same high quality transfers as the other CBS shows. However, even as poor looking compare to the others as Cannon is, it still is better than what people saw when the show originally ran and better than what we watched in syndication. We have all become spoiled! Also, I would recommend that any show from the 1950's through the 1980's should be watched in 4:3 not in widescreen! Cannon should be watched in 4:3, not in widescreen! There should be black vertical bars on the left and right side of the screen. This will make the picture quality better than stretching it to widescreen! In Summary, CBS deserves all blame and I thank VEI for releasing Cannon and Barnaby Jones!

Take Care!

Robert
Unfortunate as it may be, CBS made a business decision not to release these shows because sales were not strong enough or profitable enough on the earlier sets. That's their right. That said, they are not going to spend the money necessary to do hidef transfers of the remaining episodes. I'm sure VEI could have paid for those transfers but then would have had to raise the retail price by at least double. So I don't place any blame on CBS. They could have just shut the door and not sublicensed the shows at all.

Reactions: Randy Korstick

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I doubt Cannon looked this poorly when shown originally, like stored submerged in watery vaults, I certainly don't recall this image when I watched it but I agree while a sad affair it's better than nothing now. It's a bit more unfortunate if the Barnaby Jones episodes are syndication versions, but I suppose that's largely how they've been seen for decades anyway.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
smithbrad said:
Ahhh...because you didn't like the Hotel release, Cannon and Barnaby Jones are also horrible releases, even though you didn't even buy them. With all the slow down with older releases one would think people would appreciate that anything is still coming out. But no, it all complaints these days, the video is poor, the episodes cut, not enough extras, the packaging stinks, the price is to high.
This is strictly my own opinion. (I don't know if anybody else thinks this way).

More generally, my main complaint about ANY dvd (or bluray) releases, is whether there are random bad sectors due to manufacturing defects and crappy quality control. Random bad sectors is the main thing that I consider to be completely unacceptable for any dvd (or bluray) discs released, under any circumstances.

Unfortunately VEI seems to have a poor track record in regard to disc quality control.

I can overlook other things which other posters on these threads are raging/complaining about, such as less-than-stellar picture quality, syndication edits, lousy packaging, lack of extras, music substitutions, etc ... But I will NEVER EVER accept any dvd (or bluray) discs which have random bad sectors due to manufacturing defects.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
The constant complaints about VEI and the quality of its releases are becoming exhausting. VEI has to work with what it is given to them by CBS.

I agree with Brad. We have been spoiled by picture perfect, remastered prints for a long time now. Unfortunately, those days are over. More and more releases are going to be imperfect. You either take what you can get or don't make the purchase.

I'm not very familiar with Hotel, so I chose not to buy it. But Barnaby Jones and Cannon are two of my favorite shows, so I bought them, warts and all, and I'm fine with it.

When other VEI releases come out, like Matt Houston, Petrocelli, The Magician, and the Immortal, I will buy them as well. I'll take what I can get and live with it. This is the best we are going to get, since they got no respect from CBS.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
phenri said:
The constant complaints about VEI and the quality of its releases are becoming exhausting. VEI has to work with what it is given to them by CBS.

I agree with Brad. We have been spoiled by picture perfect, remastered prints for a long time now. Unfortunately, those days are over. More and more releases are going to be imperfect. You either take what you can get or don't make the purchase.

I'm not very familiar with Hotel, so I chose not to buy it. But Barnaby Jones and Cannon are two of my favorite shows, so I bought them, warts and all, and I'm fine with it.

When other VEI releases come out, like Matt Houston, Petrocelli, The Magician, and the Immortal, I will buy them as well. I'll take what I can get and live with it. This is the best we are going to get, since they got no respect from CBS.
Definitely.

I'll be keeping an eye on VEI's future complete series sets, such as the 1990s + early-mid 2000s era action/sci-fi shows which are owned by CBS/Paramount/Viacom.

http://www.visualentertainment.tv/pages/coming-soon

- Viper

- Jake 2.0

- Special Unit 2

- Level 9

- Super Force

- etc ...

My guess is the picture quality will be typical of other shows produced during the 1990s through to the early-mid 2000s, where many looked like they were edited on videotape with the hard telecine left in (ie. the comb effect due to ntsc interlacing).

An extensive restoration would probably be very expensive for such 1990s -> early-mid 2000s era sci-fi shows edited on videotape. They would probably have to be done like Star Trek: The Next Generation, where the special effects would have to be all redone.

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
My theory on BARNABY JONES: VEI possibly had a choice of either using CBS' un-remastered/un-restored, but unedited original network versions of mediocre quality (a la the CANNON release), or a marginally better-looking, but chopped syndicated version. Given the feedback of the CANNON set with regards to picture quality, perhaps they reasoned that it would be better to go with better picture quality/chopped transfers and hopefully avoid the potential negative feedback from poor image quality.

I love CANNON, it's one of my favorite detective shows, so I'm thrilled with the release, warts and all, versus not having it. I'm a more passive BARNABY JONES fan, so I'm willing to put up with syndicated prints that look a little better (but only when the price drops down to below $100).

That said, I do have to say that VEI has had a somewhat choppy track record with TV show releases that have disc-authoring issues (just with the ones I own, there's CANNON and BIZARRE; haven't gone all the way through my IN SEARCH OF... set but so far so good). I will still continue to support them, but I wish they would improve their quality control before releasing a product out the door...

Reactions: jcroy

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Jeff*H said:
That said, I do have to say that VEI has had a somewhat choppy track record with TV show releases that have disc-authoring issues (just with the ones I own, there's CANNON and BIZARRE; haven't gone all the way through my IN SEARCH OF... set but so far so good). I will still continue to support them, but I wish they would improve their quality control before releasing a product out the door...
I have the BIZARRE set with 10 discs (iirc).

There was one disc with botched up authoring. IIRC, it seemed to play fine on a "play all" option. But I couldn't figure out how to select a particular scene, other than manually fast-forwarding it. (There were no random bad sectors on these discs).

Another VEI set I have with botched up authoring, is the complete series set of McMillan and Wife. On several of my standalone dvd players, some discs couldn't even play properly at all. (ie. A black screen with nothing). But fortunately, my computer dvd player programs could play these same discs without any problems.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I think you're right about that, Jeff. Could be why Barnaby Jones was delayed somewhat. Some posters have the wrong picture here though, just because here's healthy critique of the overall quality released doesn't necessarily mean it won't be purchased or aren't supporting VEI. Well, some may not be and some will be, I'm getting these classic crime shows regardless been waiting ages for Barnaby Jones and The Magician, to name the two major titles of interest.

Reactions: Jeff*H

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat