What's new

Cannibal Holocaust FINALLY comes to DVD in October... (1 Viewer)

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Dave Szulkin of Grindhouse Releasing (the cool DVD company run by Sage Stallone and Bob Murawski) has confirmed on another forum that their long-in-the-works Region 1 DVD of Ruggero Deodato's CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST will be released on October 25th. A full announcement (with the final word on extras and packaging) is due in the next few weeks. For folks who haven't seen the movie, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST is a hard-to-forget Italian horror film from 1980 with some exceedingly grim imagery. The film tangentially covers the disappearance of a film expedition travelling through the Amazon and the later discovery of their (faux cinema-verite 'snuff' scenes included) footage at a later date. THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT has a lot of visual, structural and dramatic similarities to HOLOCAUST, and a number of genre critics (Tim Lucas in his Video Watchdog review of the former, in particular) have remarked on them. HOLOCAUST includes full-frontal nudity, gore (including some authentic animal cruelty) and a lot of other confronting bits and pieces. I like the movie a lot (the cinema verite stuff is well done, and a deluxe softcover book about the film deservedly came out a few years back) but I'm aware it's a likely turn-off for many other people, so it might be hard to suggest it as a blind-buy to anyone not predisposed to enjoying strong horror content.

Grindhouse Releasing will also apparently have a new website up at some unspecified future date (likely very soon). They just put out a press-release today related to some censorship that the forthcoming disc has recently fallen afoul of, and while posting the above I thought it might be of interest. Apologies in advance but I can't remember if posting this reprinted section below contravenes specifc HTF guidelines. I've included it here as I think some people may find it worth reading (the incident below seems to have just happened recently so I don't know if it will actually lead to any delays with the disc) and because the DVD itself is quite long-awaited by horror fans. (The only other Region 1 horror release I can think of that was/has been in the pipeline for so long is Image's KILL BABY KILL, and I gather that's currently dead in the water). Bear in mind that, perversely, the censorship snafu below evidently relates to the packaging and not to the content of the movie itself.

"GRINDHOUSE RELEASING FIGHTS CENSORSHIP OF "CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST" ARTWORK

Sage Stallone and Bob Murawski of retro-horror film company Grindhouse Releasing have met with yet another controversy due to the "graphic and offensive" packaging of the notorious Italian horror movie CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST.

With scant months remaining before the release of Grindhouse's long-anticipated CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST DVD, two major printers have refused to handle artwork for the disc. While the DVD is set for nationwide distribution through Rykodisc, the printing obstacle is causing last-minute panic for Grindhouse in light of the DVD's October 25, 2005 street date.

The artwork in question is not featured on the outer sleeve of the CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST DVD. In fact, Grindhouse deliberately designed the DVD¡¯s display packaging to shield sensitive eyes from the potentially disturbing imagery within.

"Simply put, everything we came up with was deemed too offensive or something that would cause us to automatically forfeit precious retail shelf space at this moment in time when chain stores are being busted for selling violent video games," says Murawski. "The real cover, the one that compromises in no way shape or form, is the cover of the DELUXE SIGNATURE CASE within the sleeve. A cover with an image that no other release of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST has had the guts to use. And this is the cover that no printer in this supposedly free country will print."

The first indication of trouble arrived in August, 2005 from a printer who arbitrarily decided not to handle any artwork associated with CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST -- including the deliberately ¡°inoffensive¡± outer slipcase which simply depicts a screaming face captured within a camera lens. When Murawski suggested that the cover image was "tame", especially by comparison to other DVD titles handled by the same printing facility, a printer¡¯s representative refused to discuss the reason behind the ban.

Rushing the artwork to a second printer, Murawski met with a similar response. Management reviewed the ¡°offensive¡± images and refused to print the CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST art unless Grindhouse revised the graphic design. No specific notes were submitted with the refusal, but objections most likely centered on the inner-sleeve reproduction of a central scene in the film: a woman¡¯s body impaled on a wooden stake.

Stallone and Murawski steadfastly refuse to censor the artwork or compromise the disc in any way. Grindhouse has been working on the CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST DVD for over five years, battling many obstacles from bootleggers illegally selling inferior copies of the movie, to the threatened seizure of a 35mm film print by town officials in Lexington, Kentucky.

"Despite the cowardly and hypocritical actions of these censors, we will not back down," says Stallone. "This latest incident only confirms the power of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST to disturb and shock audiences. We believe the public should have the right to view this DVD in its uncensored form with the deluxe packaging intact. A couple of hyper-sensitive printers are not going to stop us from realizing our vision and giving consumers the best possible product."

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
I was not aware of this.
Just saw this thread and surprised it has received zero replies.

I own the laserdisc version, w/ a gorgeous gatefold cover, and bundled in a with a 7 inch viny soundtrack single (very cool!), and a barf bag (serious).

I am however gonna wait to decide if I will buy it if it comes out. Gonna read some reviews when it does, then make ny decision if I'm gonna buy it again, since I am very happy w/the LD release.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
of course this is a must buy for any exploitation/Eurohorror student w/ a strong stomach, but I still can't imagine it ever actually making it out...it has just always been one of those titles I assumed would never make it out in a legitimate U.S. release, not because of it's rarity, but because someone out there doesn't WANT it to be seen :) eh, it's probably just the nut conspiracy theorist in me :)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
There's a lot more graphic artwork out there so Grindhouse just needs to ask those companies who printed their covers. Perhaps I shouldn't be so harsh but this just seems like press stuff trying to build up the "nobody wants this out there" hype.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, I was thinking about Cannibal Ferox aka Make The Die Slowly. My bad.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Does anyone already have the 2-Disc Limited Edition that was released a few weeks ago? I was thinking about buying it, but I read on another forum that there were some major "issues" with the discs. The person didn't specify what kind of "issues" there were, but I figured that anyone who who had the 2-Disc set oughta know if they had issues with it or not.

How does it look? How does it sound?

Also, I read on the same forum that they'd release the 2-Disc set as a non-limited edition as well, with different packaging. Does anyone know if that's true? I wonder which version I should buy. According to the person who said this, the discs would be identical and the other thing that would change would be the packaging.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I'm curious about that as well. I have the film but not this deluxe version. I'm almost afraid to watch it. :frowning:

I'd like to know what people who have seen it think about the film itself.

BarryS

Second Unit
I'm interested in this movie also. I've heard a lot about it, but I'm kind of chicken when it comes to watching really extreme stuff. Usually they turn out to be far less disturbing than I expect, though. But I just might work up the nerve to watch it. I would also like to hear comments from some that have seen it.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The gore in this film is more realistic than anything I've ever seen...not to mention the animal violence. There were some scenes where I definitely turned my head. I haven't watched the film on the DVD yet, but I've watched the extras, and they appeared fine to me. I haven't heard of any problems with the disc.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I've watched the set, including most of the extras. I've had no problems whatsoever. The film looks terrific, all things considered, and the extras are rewarding.

There are a number of onscreen killings of animals, which may upset some - 4, I think.a monkey decapitation, sea turtle dismemberment, muskrat stabbing, boar shooting
Be aware that there is an "animal cruelty free" option for viewing, which bypasses these scenes - a good idea.

The disc is indeed being reissued shortly, though the price is the same, so if you want the first run packaging, you might want to pick one up sooner rather than later. God knows, this film certainly isn't for everyone, but for those interested, this is a great set.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

Apparently the DVD isn't flagged for progressive playback. This means that people with high end setups will notice a flaw within the image.

Hopefully the reissue will fix this problem.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I ran my copy on a progressive scan player onto a 53" projection set tended by our own Gregg Loewen. I must admit to not noticing any combing or such, but as always, YMMV.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
If you have a cadence based DVD player, it will automatically correct the improper flagging.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I noticed on Amazon.ca that they have a 2 disc deluxe edition(that I have on order) and a 2 disc limited edition coming out next week. What's the diff?

One says "Collector's Edition" across the top, one says "Deluxe Edition" across the top. One has a number between 1 and 11,111 on the back, and one doesn't. Seriously, those are the only differences according to the DVD Empire listing. The earlier release is limited, and Tuesday's release is not.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

Even though I have one of the "Collector's Edition"s, I did note that one the spine of the digipak it says DELUXE EDITION. I wondered about the discrepancy. Does everyone with a collector's edition have deluxe written on their digipak spine?

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor

I'm not exactly sure I understand what this means. First of all, what do you consider to be a "high end" setup?

Next, what kind of flaw are we talking about here? What happens? Does the flaw only appear on progressive displays (like a front projector) or does it also happen with 1080i HDTV rear projectors?

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
It's a guess, but if the i in 1080i means 'interlaced' then I don't think you'll notice anything. The disc is interlaced and folks with interlaced-only setups all seem to be very happy with the picture quality. I'm still awaiting my copy of the disc and I can't play progressive DVD's on my Loewe (unfortunately) so I'm open to be corrected by people who have seen the disc with their own eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks