What's new

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I suppose there now simply is no excuse for studios like Paramount to be releasing terrible 4K UHDs of their own films, when something like Cannibal Holocaust gets what Robert Harris would probably declare to be a "night and day" reference-quality release :D No, wait! Don't leave! It really is an incredible, lovingly restored package, for what is considered to be the film world's worst-ever film! Go figure! And the only reason to purchase a new 4K UHD version of the most notorious Video Nasty of them all (unless you absolutely have to have a row of notorious video nasties next to the Criterion Collection section in your library), is that is has a terrific commentary by erstwhile horror/cult film legend Kim Newman and author/broadcaster Barry Forshaw. You can just sit and watch the horrors unfold on a transfer to rival the just-released 4K UHD of Wings Of Desire for picture quality, while being entertained by a jovial commentary, putting the whole wretched experience into perspective. Much better than the Ruggero Deodato one on the Grindhouse Releasing blu-ray - you don't want to listen to the director, or anyone who had anything to do with the production, believe me.

Quite astonishing that the British Board of Film Classification now passes this for home video release!

IMG_1256.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I suppose there now simply is no excuse for studios like Paramount to be releasing terrible 4K UHDs of their own films, when something like Cannibal Holocaust gets what Robert Harris would probably declare to be a "night and day" reference-quality release :D No, wait! Don't leave! It really is an incredible, lovingly restored package, for what is considered to be the film world's worst-ever film! Go figure! And the only reason to purchase a new 4K UHD version of the most notorious Video Nasty of them all (unless you absolutely have to have a row of notorious video nasties next to the Criterion Collection section in your library), is that is has a terrific commentary by erstwhile horror/cult film legend Kim Newman and author/broadcaster Barry Forshaw. You can just sit and watch the horrors unfold on a transfer to rival the just-released 4K UHD of Wings Of Desire for picture quality, while being entertained by a jovial commentary, putting the whole wretched experience into perspective. Much better than the Ruggero Deodato one on the Grindhouse Releasing blu-ray - you don't want to listen to the director, or anyone who had anything to do with the production, believe me.

Quite astonishing that the British Board of Film Classification now passes this for home video release!

View attachment 168478

That's precisely what we need in 4k, is more 16mm product.

And I'll say it before anyone else does. People have a God-given right to purchase what they desire. Personally, I'd prefer an nice 4k of Behind the Green Door.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The point being: if it is now profitable to make a brand-new 4K scan and release this squalid little film, again, on a disc, then we can reasonably expect the floodgates of more-deserving, newly mastered 4K discs to open and fill our aisles. It's not as though legions of chin-stroking film connoisseurs have been demanding a state-of-the-art Cannibal Holocaust copy for their personal libraries. I would guess this will sell a couple of thousand. So - why not North By Northwest?

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
Horror and kung fu film fans are ideal consumers for boutique labels. They pre-order discs, often directly from the label, and like expensive limited editions and slipcovers. They don’t sit back and announce that they’ll get it in the next Barnes and Noble sale for 50% off.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Only heard about the turtle being killed during filming.
It's been about 20 years since I saw it, but my recollection is that at least 8 animals were killed, for real, on screen. The turtle scene was the most prolonged.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I turned it off after the first few minutes because of the animal torture - not exactly my idea of entertainment.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I turned it off after the first few minutes because of the animal torture - not exactly my idea of entertainment.
Wish I had done the same. Aside from the appalling animal-cruelty, it's just a plain old bad movie: Poorly shot (even for a "found footage" movie), poorly written, poorly acted, sanctimonious, and offensive on just about every conceivable level. All of which adds to the movie's notoriety, and makes it a must-see that you'll never be able to un-see. There are a handful of movies that I wish I could have completely wiped from my memory, Eternal-Sunshine-of-the-Spotless-Mind style. This is one of them.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Wish I had done the same. Aside from the appalling animal-cruelty, it's just a plain old bad movie: Poorly shot (even for a "found footage" movie), poorly written, poorly acted, sanctimonious, and offensive on just about every conceivable level. All of which adds to the movie's notoriety, and makes it a must-see that you'll never be able to un-see. There are a handful of movies that I wish I could have completely wiped from my memory, Eternal-Sunshine-of-the-Spotless-Mind style. This is one of them.
Actually, it was very interesting listening to Kim Newman and Barry Forshaw, while it ran. It is still a reprehensible and notorious exploitation film 40 years after it was made and they offer some good perspective. I had the Grindhouse blu-ray since it was released, but never felt the inclination to sit down and watch it. Listening to a decent lecture on the film, by two entertaining and knowledgable experts was my justification for adding it to my shelf. I was surprised that such a low-budget, independent Italian film, made to capitalise on the VHS revolution, had elements that enabled a restoration of this quality.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Listening to a decent lecture on the film, by two entertaining and knowledgeable experts was my justification for adding it to my shelf.
While that is not enough to make me want to bite on this particular title, the separate commentaries by Malcolm McDowell and Helen Mirren on the Caligula Imperial Edition DVD made that cinematic atrocity into one of my all-time favorite DVDs.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I was surprised that such a low-budget, independent Italian film, made to capitalize on the VHS revolution, had elements that enabled a restoration of this quality.

You'd be surprised how well many of these exploitation films have been protected - and rightfully so. It's true that a lot of this stuff is junk, churned out by people desperate to recapture successes of other, better Directors in other countries, but that doesn't make these films any less worthy of preservation. They're products of their time, more than anything, that have large fan bases worldwide - those of us who collect films of all kinds want the best possible presentation regardless of how "reprehensible" they may be. 88 Films have been around long enough so it's safe to say they knew what they were doing when they decided to give the film a great restoration. Thankfully the elements were in great shape.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
And I'll state again, that the commentary by Kim Newman and Barry Forshaw is worth the price of the disc, and enabled me to watch the film. The two really hit it off together and I could listen to them for hours. In fact, after I had finished listening to them on Cannibal Holocaust, I immediately put on the 4k UHDs of Arrow's Silent Running and the BFI's Get Carter, in order to listen to their commentaries on those two films. I haven't listened to commentaries for a long while - not since Julie Kirgo's and Nick Redman's excellent commentaries on many of the Twilight Time releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks